1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Replacement for cloud backup?

Discussion in 'NAS Systems and Networked Home and SMB Software' started by Ch33rios, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Ch33rios

Ch33rios Member

With Crash plan moving away from consumers I wanted to see what cost effective options people are entertaining for their cloud storage/backup options?

Yes I have the option to be grandfathered in to a relatively cheap Crash plan option but I'd still like to pursue options. I have about 100Gb today to store and most of it is pictures/media. Monthly transfer should be minimal and access to said data should be all but non-existent since I'd really only retrieve files should I have a critical drive/data failure.

That being said, is either Google cloud or AWS a reasonable option? Something else?

Appreciate input!

2. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

S3 for 100gb isn't much.

3. Ch33rios

Ch33rios Member

I just a quick check against Google's nearline storage and 100Gb is ~$11/month with 2 million puts and 1 restore/other requests. That's probably overkill since I will rarely do restore requests and I'm assuming once the initial data is put up there, the number of monthly put or get requests will be well under 1mil ( although I honestly have no idea what a single 'PUT' or 'GET' constitutes....is it a single file upload?) That seems super reasonable.

4. markarr

markarr Active Member

B2 from backblaze is cheaper and there are a lot of integrations written for B2

5. moblaw

moblaw New Member

I've got two domains linked to VM running nextcloud lxc vms. Hosted on fiber 1g up/down. Raid6, ups, dual 2696v4. behind ccr1036 (thank you Patrick) & pfsense.
    Let me know if u wanna try it out, to see if it fits your needs. I got room for several users. It's capped at max 5tb, because I'm the only user. But surely I've got more that 5tb, if this were to escalate.

Never used Crashplan, I did once use Google Business Suite, and I've read many good things about it recently.

Skydrev.com
    There's free signup atm. I will limit new users to 50gb if things go berserk. One thing though, you need the Google Authenticator app to sign-up, "it's an extra security layer." Doesn't work with virtual-drive-mappings i.e NetDrive, but for that I use another domain.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017 at 10:23 AM