Replacement for cloud backup?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ch33rios

Nov 29, 2016
With Crash plan moving away from consumers I wanted to see what cost effective options people are entertaining for their cloud storage/backup options?

Yes I have the option to be grandfathered in to a relatively cheap Crash plan option but I'd still like to pursue options. I have about 100Gb today to store and most of it is pictures/media. Monthly transfer should be minimal and access to said data should be all but non-existent since I'd really only retrieve files should I have a critical drive/data failure.

That being said, is either Google cloud or AWS a reasonable option? Something else?

Appreciate input!

Ch33rios

Nov 29, 2016
I just a quick check against Google's nearline storage and 100Gb is ~$11/month with 2 million puts and 1 restore/other requests. That's probably overkill since I will rarely do restore requests and I'm assuming once the initial data is put up there, the number of monthly put or get requests will be well under 1mil ( although I honestly have no idea what a single 'PUT' or 'GET' constitutes....is it a single file upload?) That seems super reasonable.

markarr

Oct 31, 2013
B2 from backblaze is cheaper and there are a lot of integrations written for B2

moblaw

Jun 23, 2017
I've got two domains linked to VM running nextcloud lxc vms. Hosted on fiber 1g up/down. Raid6, ups, dual 2696v4. behind ccr1036 (thank you Patrick) & pfsense.
Let me know if u wanna try it out, to see if it fits your needs. I got room for several users. It's capped at max 5tb, because I'm the only user. But surely I've got more that 5tb, if this were to escalate.

Never used Crashplan, I did once use Google Business Suite, and I've read many good things about it recently.

Skydrev.com
There's free signup atm. I will limit new users to 50gb if things go berserk. One thing though, you need the Google Authenticator app to sign-up, "it's an extra security layer." Doesn't work with virtual-drive-mappings i.e NetDrive, but for that I use another domain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
I am backing up about 1TB and after evaluating AWS, Blackblaze and google, I ended up just converting CrashplanPro. Still ended up being the cheapest option for me.