Search results

1. C

9460 equivalent cards

Hi, Im looking for a cheap card that will put 2 U.2 NVME drives into RAID 1. The 9460-8i or 16i is pretty pricey on eBay but I know there are several OEMs that rebrand it. Any recommendations that can be easily flashed?
  2. C

Current CPU/Mobo Deals

I handle IT for a small office that has a couple of old Dell servers with Xeon E3-1225 quad core processors that are about 10 years old. I installed them myself and they both still work perfectly but at ~10 years, it’s time to replace them. Most of what they do is in the cloud now but for...
  3. C

Tiered storage configuration

I’m rebuilding my home/lab server and wondering if anything has changed with tiered storage. I haven’t paid much attention over the last 4 or 5 years. I have an assortment of 8 and 10 TB HDDs a bunch of 960GB Sata SSDs and some NVME drives I’d like to put together in a server. When I last looked...
  4. C

Time for upgrade upgrade - Lga 2011, 3647 or Epyc,?

I’m considering upgrading my home/lab server but I haven’t been been paying much attention to the used enterprise gear market lately so I’m not sure what is cost (and power) effective anymore. I run ESXI 6.5 with 6-8 VMs (windows server, TrueNAS, Ubuntu Server, etc) + whatever I’m messing with...
  5. C

Samsung PM983 SSD 3.84TB, SAS $380

Claims to be new NEW! Samsung PM983 SSD 3.84TB, SAS PCIe Gen3, MZ-QLB3T80, MZQLB3T8HALS-000AZ | eBay Edit: this is incorrectly listed as SAS not NVME
  6. C

Dead 3.84t PM863t

I have a Samsung 3.84TB 863 SSD that’s been in my home Esxi server for about a year and just went belly up. Esxi doesn’t recognize it at all and if I connect it to windows and try and initialize I get no space errors and Samsung enterprise magician didn’t even see it. I have all the data...
  7. C

Gigabyte GTX 1080 - $430 w/FS

Good price on a non-ti GTX 1080. Advantages of this one over the ti are 180w tdp (vs 250) and only one 8 pin power cable. This is the best performance per watt on the market. GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 DirectX 12 GV-N1080WF3OC-8GD 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI Ex | eBay
  8. C

16 port managed switch $60 w/FS (Zyxel - Newegg)

I can't believe how cheap managed switches are getting. It's been a while since I've purchased networking gear and I haven't used these personally but have heard that they are well built and reliable. Fanless with onboard power supply and includes rack mount hardware. ZyXEL GS1900-16 Fanless...
  9. C

Sandisk 1.6 TB SAS SSD $319

Looks like a good deal for capacity. Lightning 1600GB- LB1606R - Server SSD 2.5 SAS Drive - LB1606R-1.6TB
  10. C

Who cares about dwpd?

Given that the vast majority of datacenter drives see actual usage that is far less than the manufactures rating. Used enterprise SSDs: Dissecting our production SSD population Is dwpd becoming a useless metric? Unless you are buying a drive for an application that you know will actually be...
  11. C

Lot of 10 PM843t 480GB - $849 w/FS

$85 each for 480 GB tlc enterprise drives Lot 10 Samsung PM853T MZ7GE480HMHP 480GB Enterprise SSD 6Gb MZ-7GE4800 | eBay
  12. C

SSD Pooling

Does anyone know if there is a volume manager that supports online migration (preferably zfs)? I've been slowly collecting SSDs and need a storage system that will allow me to add drives one at a time. I've decided that I do need some type of parity - not so much to protect from drive failure...
  13. C

SSD and RAID - Worth it?

After reading the great article here about the reliability of used enterprise SSDs. With annual failure rates below .1% and lower than fans I'm questioning the wisdom of continuing RAID at all. Mirroring or RAID 10 just seems unecessary and as long as you have good backups JBOD should be totally...
  14. C

New 1.6TB SAS SSD - $359

Lightning 1600GB- LB1606R - Server SSD 2.5 SAS Drive - LB1606R-1.6TB
  15. C

4U Dual 750w PSU, (16) 2.5" Hot Swap $125

I'm sure most of you know about this ebay seller but its worth pointing out that he will accept very low offers (half off at least) on 4u Intel Chassis's. The Dual 750W platinum PSUs and (16) 2.5" hot-swap SAS bays make this a screaming deal just for the parts. Intel P4216XXMHGC Server Chassis...
  16. C

SSD RAID Level Performance Testing

I've finally collected enough enterprise grade SSDs to do some meaningful performance testing across different parity levels and platforms. Particularly with ZFS but also with hardware controllers. For virtualization storage, most people recommend RAID 10 (or striped mirrors) to achieve the...
  17. C

Find details of mystery drive

I picked up a couple of Dell branded 1.8" sata SSDs and have been trying to find some specs on it but have come up empty. I know SANdisk was the OEM and this is the FCC ID. MSIP-REM-S1S-BLE7 1.8-Inch SATA Solid State Drive But I can't find anything about durability, MLC, TLC, etc... It was...
  18. C

15m 10gb connection

Please pardon the noob question. I haven't been keeping up with 10g+ networking. I have a couple of ConnectX-2 10g cards that I have used to connect servers using short copper cables. No switches. Now I would like to connect the server to a workstation in another room and it will require a...
  19. C

Hurry - New HGST SAS3 12g MLC SSD $250

Won't last long HITACHI 800GB MLC 2.5 INCH SFF 12G SAS3 SOLID STATE DRIVE SSD HUSMM8080ASS200 HP | eBay
  20. C

San disk Lightning 800GB SAS $192

10 available claim to be refurbished but I think these are spec'd at 5 DWPD 800GB SAS SSD Sandisk LIGHTNING LB806M 2.5" 6Gb/s Enterprise Cheapest on Ebay | eBay