Dead 3.84t PM863t

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ColPanic

Feb 14, 2016
ATX
I have a Samsung 3.84TB 863 SSD that’s been in my home Esxi server for about a year and just went belly up. Esxi doesn’t recognize it at all and if I connect it to windows and try and initialize I get no space errors and Samsung enterprise magician didn’t even see it.

I have all the data backed up so that’s not a big deal, but I paid over $1000 for it and do not have a warranty. Are there any magic tools that may bring it back to live? Any hope of getting it repaired? Normally I’d just toss a dead drive but this is the single most expensive part in the whole server.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Sounds to me like classic SSD death, at-least in my experience...

Jan 4, 2014
sounds to me like a typical ssd "elvis has left the building" situation

send from a mobile device, so typo's are to be expected

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Is it say a HPE or Dell drive ? Maybe you know somebody that can do the warranty claim in a supported machine ?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
So much for the "reliability" of these so called enterprise ssd's
Always the odd failure, in general I haven’t seen the HGST, Samsung, Intel, Sandisk, etc enterprise SSD exceed the expected and stated AFR
And you can use the stated AFR’s and see and expect you will always get failures.

Reactions: audio catalyst