15m 10gb connection

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ColPanic

Feb 14, 2016
ATX
Please pardon the noob question. I haven't been keeping up with 10g+ networking.

I have a couple of ConnectX-2 10g cards that I have used to connect servers using short copper cables. No switches.
Now I would like to connect the server to a workstation in another room and it will require a cable about 15m long. It only needs to be point to point so I'm not looking at switches or trying to connect to Cat6 at this time.

Can I just plug one of these fiber transceivers into each card and connect with any multi mode fiber cable? MFM1T02A-SR Compatible Mellanox,SFP+ Fiber Optic Module, 10GBase-SR,300M, 850nm | eBay

15m multimode

And does anyone know about how much power each card will use when connected this way?

Is this the most cost and power efficient way to connect 2 machines with 10g? I already have CAT6 cabling but last I checked the 10gbe card were power hungry and expensive (switches even more so).

Thanks for any tips.

Last edited:

Blinky 42

Aug 6, 2015
PA, USA
Looks like you will be fine with a pair of those SFP+ SR modules. That fiber jumper linked will *not* work - you need one with LC connectors on both ends.

Note that you can get them cheaper elsewhere and new, like from FS.com that also ships quickly from China to the USA, the SFP+ are $16 each and a 15M OM4 LC-LC jumper is $11.

Jeff Robertson

Oct 18, 2016
Chico, CA
I found a 5 for $25 deal on ebay for used sfp+ connectors to use with those same cards. If you look around you can probably get the whole cable with connectors for around 20 I would think. Good luck!

Reactions: Patrick and pc_doom

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
fs.com is a great one-stop place for both the optics and the cable if you don't mind the wait.

If you don't want to pay for expedited shipping and don't want to wait a couple of weeks, then eBay to the rescue.

15M of OM3 with LC connectors is 7.50 plus shipping. NEW HP 15m Multi-Mode OM3 LC/LC FC Cable AJ837-63002 | eBay

You want om4 instead? * NEW * QK735A - HP 3PAR 8450 15M LC-LC Multi-Mode OM4 Premier Flex FC Cable | eBay with free shipping making it cheaper if you only get one.

Do remember that fiber is kinda fragile and you may break it if you aren't careful with it ... i.e. don't bend it too sharp or step on it.

Reactions: pc_doom

pc_doom

Nov 2, 2016
fs.com is a great one-stop place for both the optics and the cable if you don't mind the wait.

If you don't want to pay for expedited shipping and don't want to wait a couple of weeks, then eBay to the rescue.

15M of OM3 with LC connectors is 7.50 plus shipping. NEW HP 15m Multi-Mode OM3 LC/LC FC Cable AJ837-63002 | eBay

You want om4 instead? * NEW * QK735A - HP 3PAR 8450 15M LC-LC Multi-Mode OM4 Premier Flex FC Cable | eBay with free shipping making it cheaper if you only get one.

Do remember that fiber is kinda fragile and you may break it if you aren't careful with it ... i.e. don't bend it too sharp or step on it.
I heared that they recently built a new warehouse in Seattle, and for some types of products can be shipped directly from Seattle.

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
Problem with fs.com is that they sometimes wait a whole week before even processing the order. Then things get shipped from China to the US before it gets sent to the final destination (which may not always be in the US).
If they only warehouse products in China why not have it directly shipped from there to customer? Do they have to personally inspect every thing in the US?

At least this was my experience as a Norwegian shopping there.