Search results

1. N

Napp-it - NFS Read bottleneck?

I've noticed lately that once there is some load on the server, there seems to be a heavy (random?) read bottleneck that I really do not know how to put my finger on. dd writes seem to be ok, but reads either get stuck or something - not quite sure at this point. eg. around 3-4 Plex streams...
  2. N

NAPP-IT log errors - too many connections

Going through the logs, not quote sure what is causing these errors - attempted a google search but didn't come up with anything about it (suppose it's a tricky search) Jan 31 08:55:57 batcavefs /usr/lib/nfs/nfsd[631]: [ID 696744 daemon.warning] too many connections (5), releasing oldest (11)...
  3. N

ZFS Benchmarks - how to they look?

I'm trying to optimize my file server - but not sure if I am even seeing reasonable performance as it is, so maybe someone can look at the benchmark results below and let me know if I am in the ballpark of what should/could be expected? Napp-it 028_v4 is running in a VM (ESXi 6.5) - controllers...
  4. N

Permissions help - Writing via NFS, SMB W/X ok but unable to delete?

I seem to have mucked something up somewhere permissions wise - Everything works as I think it should I can open/run the files/folders except when I go to delete files/folders via SMB (Windows) - it just doesn't delete. No errors, no complaining from Windows at all. It just doesn't do anything...
  5. N

NAPP-IT - Moving whole pool - DATAMOVER or no?

Hi Gea, wondering if I should consider using the datamover tool in napp-it for transferring all of my data from my existing pool to my new pool? If yes can I just choose the pool (no specific folder/ZFS file system) or do I have to do it file system by file system? Or is there a better way to...
  6. N

Clarification on Expander use with JBOD

I'm building my own JBOD case using a cut down rack case, and 3x Supermicro M35T racks installed which are all SATA connections (5 per M35T - so 15 total requred) I thought you could have breakout cables from 8088 to 8077 with more than 4 SATA connections but that doesn't seem to be the case...
  7. N

ESXi/PLEX/Storage server upgrade... WWYD

I've been racking my brain over cost vs performance for my planned server upgrade... the box will have to deal with all my VM's + storage, etc. The heaviest resource of course is PLEX, which can range anywhere from 6-8 users on at a time currently, mixture of transcoding + DS. with more...
  8. N

Looking to update OmniOS/NAPP-IT from r151014

Just looking for some info, looking to update OmniOS to a more current build. What would be the best (safest) way to go about this, export pools, spin up the new VM OVA and import the pools, or do an update through some sort of package manager from within OmniOS? running on ESXi 5.5. Thanks!
  9. N

Server locking up... Logs show voltage issues... help?

So recently I've been experiencing random lock ups.... my server (ESXi) will just lock up and become unresponsive, except for the IPMI. Checking the server thresholds and logs through the IPMI shows after the lock up shows all motherboard voltages are reading 0V... CPU, memory, etc, all sensors...
  10. N

Intel E10G42AFDA vs E10G42BTDA

Sorry this might seem like a silly question... but does anyone know what the difference is between these two cards? AF vs BT? Looking to use with the BSD based FW connected to an ES-16-XG if that makes any difference. Cheers!
  11. N

refresh AD users/groups in OmniOS/napp-it?

It seems after the AD connection via napp-it, it is a little selective on what groups and users it has sync'd Is there a way to refresh this or define certain OU's? Thanks!
  12. N

Having a real hard time with NFS and permissions

I seem to be having a really hard time with NFS + permissions on my new setup. I'm not sure where the issue lies, but I've gone through multiple configurations, access rules/ACL configs, etc. Nothing really seems to work for me. Scenario: Ubuntu server - NFS mapped drives to my OmniOS ZFS...
  13. N

Horrible network performance ESXi 5.5U2

Honestly I don't know where to go from here, but every time I try something new something isn't working for me the way it should. Finally copied all my data over from my old Z1 pools to my new 10x 4TB Z2 pool on my new server hardware. Splurged and got all Server grade stuff to make things...
  14. N

Napp-It AIO - iSCSI not showing LU in ESXi 5.5U2

I just can't get ESXi to show the volume... I can connect to the iSCSI host, I can even "connect" to the target, but the device never shows and I get the following error in ESXi: iSCSI discovery to 10.10.10.2 on vmhba38 failed. The iSCSI Initiator could not establish a network connection to the...
  15. N

Napp-it NFS share just won't mount 5.5U2

I can't for the life of me get this working... worst part is I get an "unknown error" from ESXi. Call "HostDatastoreSystem.CreateNasDatastore" for object "ha-datastoresystem" on ESXi "10.10.0.20" failed. NFS mount 10.10.10.2:/storage_z2/other/ISO failed: Unable to connect to NFS server. An...