Search results

1. V

server/workstation case + hotswap

I have a Lenovo TS140 server which I made a bit of a mistake buying as it is rather limited in number of drives it can take and power supplied from it's power supply so I'm interested in putting together another low power server/workstation in a case with 8 hotswap drive bays (just for practical...
  2. V

Looking for ideas on extending storage for home aio ZFS/VM + lower power servers

This post covers more topics than ZFS but as ZFS storage is most relevant, I wrote it here. History: I wanted to put a ESXI based ZFS/VM server in the cellar. Not being an IT admin/hw expert, I may have had some unrealistic ideas - I wanted to sit in my room and access any VM I wanted to play...
  3. V

Newbie need some help with disk replacement for napp-it AIO

Hi, Due to Lenovo TS140 psu power limitation, I'm being cautious and want to remove one SSD. At the moment, the AIO looks like this: 2HDD (mirror) + 2SSD (mirror) + 1 local SSD for OmniOS & ESXI I would appreciate if I could get some pointers on how to do the following (haven't grasped things...
  4. V

ZFS AIO

My "dream" was to use the AIO for storage and running VMs from cellar and have monitor in my room (home/learning setup). Due to inexperience and lack of understanding of ZFS/ESXI and other requirements I purchased hardware which is limited: -WYSE P45 PCoiP thin client to have in my room -Lenovo...
  5. V

Intel 82583V driver for ESXI

I'm playing around with a fanless i3/7100U 16GB mini pc with 6 82583V gigabit lan ports and wanted to install ESXI 6.5 but get the message "No network adapters" If I login and double check the controller via: lspci -v | grep "Class 0200" -B 1, it shows 6 82583V vmnics with Class 0200...
  6. V

need advice on home pfsense / cisco virtual wireless controller setup

I'm a newbie in this area, have a home/3 apartment scenario , got fed up of problems with off the shelf network gear and have purchased the following : - cisco AIR-CAP3502i-E-K9 (4 pieces / 1 per floor) - cisco SG 300-28 switch - fanless i3 7100U/16GB mini pc with 6 lan ports - have an ESXI...
  7. V

newbie questions

A lot of this is new to me, so I may be doing something stupid :) I have an AIO with disks as per attached screenshot from napp-it: The disks should be setup as follows: 1 ssd local SATA disk for ESXI+OmniOS , the rest of the disks tied to OmniOS via a LSI2008: 2*1TB hdd's (mirror) - for backup...
  8. V

Napp-it ToGo VM - OpenIndiana 2017.04

I have no idea whether it was a good idea but I swapped to OpenIndiana after the news about OmniOS . After deploying the OVA of OI, I restarted esxi and OI vm was powerd on but something strange is happening with the mouse cursor - as the mouse goes into the OI window, the cursor disappears...
  9. V

newbie all-in-one basic ZFS storage / security questions

I have the following setup on a home lab server : (a)local disk SSD for ESXI + OmniOS/napp-it VM The following is pass-through to OmniOS (b)2* 80GB SSD in a disk pool running in parallel for VMs (I have only 2 VMs here) (c)2* 1TB HDDs in a disk pool running in parallel for storage/NAS Basic...
  10. V

Need recommendation for home networking equipment

I’d appreciate a recommendation for new networking equipment to cover 4 floors including the cellar. At the moment I have the following equipment: Location - cellar rack - ISP router acting as modem (location cellar rack) - Asus RT-N16 router (router + cellar/1st floor wifi) - TP-link gigabit...
  11. V

esxi 6.0 home lab server/workstation - accessing vm

Could someone please fill me in on whether there is a free solution (not using Horizon View) for accessing a specific vm via a zero/thin client (using the server as a workstation) which has acceptable graphics performance ? I ask because I am unclear on whether using Horizon View...
  12. V

Lenovo TS140 all-in-one ZFS NAS /ESXI home lab/workstation

I was sold on the idea of an all-in-one ZFS NAS / ESXI home lab (will update to ESXI version 6.0 update 2.0) also to be used as a workstation rather than using WMware Workstation or other alternatives (low power and other benefits). Unfortunately I bought the TS140 a bit early not understanding...
  13. V

napp-it all in one - newbie questions

OK I'm finally back and still at newbie level ;) I wanted to change the omnios ip address , so I saw that it was possible in napp-it. After changing the ip address, I could not get napp-it to start-up in the web browser. In esxi in the omnios console, the new ip address is listed but it has a...
  14. V

napp-in-one basics 2

OK, I've sidestepped a bit to try to learn something but I'm not getting anywhere fast - so would appreciate if someone wouldn't mind stepping me through how to add datastorage to ESXI (on which I can install a VM). This is what I have (on a separate network/router not connected to the...
  15. V

napp-in-one basics

I'll be frank - even with the documentation, with my knowldege I'm lost - could someone please help. This is where I'm at: ESXi is installed on a local SATA SSD. I downloaded the napp-in-one, unzipped and did file ->deploy OVF template to same local datastore as ESXi (30.16GB is...
  16. V

newbie napp-in-one questions

My hardware: TS140 server 4core,20GB mem,(integrated I217 nic for admin), 16GB USB stick for ESXI 250GB SSD SATA local, IBM1015 reflashed to LSI 9211-8i HBA with 2 * 1TB SATA HDDs connected (want to have them mirrored), I350-t4 quad nic. I installed ESXI 6.0 update 1 on USB stick (integrated...
  17. V

Home Virtualization Storage / Trying out different hypervisors

Coming from a background of using Windows only ( with imaging/multiboot) , not knowing much in Linux and knowing just as little about virtualization, I'm kind of finding it hard to know which way to turn regarding choice of hypervisor and how to use the storage I have available. The server...