esxi 6.0 home lab server/workstation - accessing vm

Discussion in 'VMware, VirtualBox, Citrix' started by vjeko, Sep 26, 2016.

1. vjeko

vjeko Member

Could someone please fill me in on whether there is a free solution (not using Horizon View)
    for accessing a specific vm via a zero/thin client (using the server as a workstation) which
    has acceptable graphics performance ?

I ask because I am unclear on whether using Horizon View Direct-Connection Plugin and
    View clients are free, is PCoIP used and whether I need to watch out for anything
    special regarding the zero/thin client ?

2. nk215

nk215 Active Member

You don't need horizon view.

On the guest VM, you'll install 2 things (both free): VMware-viewagent-direct-connection and VMware-viewagent

On the remote computer (which you use to access the VM via zero client or RPD). You'll need to install Viewclient (also free).

You can also use RPD to access the VM (RemoteFX).

Graphic performance is a function of what you have as GPU on the guest VM. If you don't have an approved graphic card on your ESXi server, then you have software 3D sVGA. Software 3D sVGA is acceptable for office tasks, youtube video and stuffs.

A step above that you need hardware supported sVGA (in ESXi setup, you'll need quadro 4000 and up). Hardware sVGA you can share a single card with multiple VMs. You don't need to install any drivers on the VM itself.

Best performance is vDGA in PCI pass-thru mode. In this config, you'll need 1 Card per VM.

There are other options with nVidia GRID card but I have no experience with them.

You taked about using "Server as a workstation" which means you'll log onto the guest VM at the ESXi host. In this setup you'll need PCI pass-thru for both your graphic card and the keyboard/mouse. I've never try it with vSGA mode which doesn't make sense since you'll need a dedicated physical port to plug the monitor onto.

vjeko likes this.
  3. ecosse

ecosse Active Member

I'm not convinced you can get SVGA on ESXi 6 without a grid card. I'd love to be told otherwise!

4. nk215

nk215 Active Member

You maybe thinking about vGPU which requires a GRID card. sVGA is something else completely.

5. vjeko

vjeko Member

OK, much appreciated ! OK, so direct connection can be made without Horizon View,
    but communication is limited to RDP i.e. PCoIP is not possible ?

6. nk215

nk215 Active Member

Both are available.

7. ecosse

ecosse Active Member

Sound great. Where do I download the VIB for a non-GRID card. The only download for ESXi 6 I can find only supports GRID cards e.g. links from https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/m...nguage=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2033434 and the drivers download tab for a Quadro 4000 only goes up to ESXi 5.5 also

8. nk215

nk215 Active Member

You are correct. I forgot that nvidia does not provide drivers for the quadro cards under esxi 6.

One more reason for me not to upgrade to esxi 6.