Search results

1. M

What motherboard for i7-6700 in a 1U

I was looking at this motherboard from SuperMicro - SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSL-O SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSL-O Micro ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1151 Intel C232 - Newegg.com and using it in a 1u with an i7-6700. But Supermicro says that it can only be used with Intel Xeon and i3 chips? Can I really...
  2. M

What happened to 5x5?

It's been ten months since it was announced, and five months since prototype boards were shown off. Can I order one now? If not, is it dead? Or is it likely to be available in the future?
  3. M

2TB 850 Evo sold out at Amazon and NewEgg

I just noticed the 850 EVO is temporarily out of stock (without an estimated delivery date) from Amazon.com and "currently sold out" from NewEgg. Seems weird, since the drive has been out quite a while. Does this mean they are about to release something new? Perhaps a 4TB and a refreshed 2TB...
  4. M

Is this drive fake? (850 Pro 2TB on EBay).

I noticed several sellers with 10-150 sales selling 850 Pro 2TB drives for less than they should. For example, here's a sale that completed: 40% OFF!!! SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2TB Internal SSD ‑ 2.5" (MZ-7KE2T0BW) (There are others available). Anyway, the seller could have easily sold the drive for...
  5. M

Samsung SSD RMA process makes me never want to buy Samsung again...

I have an 840 Samsung EVO failing. To RMA the drive, I had to call in. Now I have to fill out a 14 question email (not even a form, but an email) to get an RMA approved. They need the bill of sale, and a photo of the drive label. And they absolutely don't do advanced replacement. Which...
  6. M

E5-2670 V1 rackmount build

I'm tempted by the article on the home page about E5-2670 V1s hitting $100. What would I combine them with to build a 1U or 2U rackmount system? Preferably things that I can pick up used and quite cheap. Although if the price is similar between used and new, I prefer to pay slightly more for...
  7. M

Where's my extra ethernet ports on the D-1540 under Linux?

I have a Supermicro MBD-X10SDV-TLN4F-O with a Xeon D-1540. I've loaded Ubuntu 14.04 on it. Under Linux, I can only see em1 and em2. (ifconfig -a knows only of em1, em2, lo, and virbr0). How do I get access to the other two? (Forgetting about the fifth IPMI port). Do I need to load a kernel...
  8. M

SG300-28 already leaving a bad taste in my mouth...

Well I bought a Cisco SG300-28 for a quarter rack that I have co-located. I don't really have much experience with managed switches but here's my inital impressions: * The web interface is slow. Reminds me of a $20 wireless router. * Upgrading the firmware/boot code is a multi-step pain...
  9. M

Did Samsung ever satisfactorily fix the 840 EVO?

I have two 1TB Samsung 840 EVO drives. I know they have had a series of firmware upgrades to address poor performance after a few months. Did they ever satisfactorily fix the problem, so the drive is as good as was promised? If I do a firmware upgrade will I get the long term performance I...
  10. M

pystone

pystone is an awesome little benchmark that usually ships with Python. On my Ubuntu system it's found in the package libpython2.7-stdlib. The program is located at /usr/lib/python2.7/test/pystone.py Can you add it to Linux-Bench? Thanks!
  11. M

What PCI riser for X10SDV-TLN4F in a 1U?

I have a X10SDV-TLN4F (Xeon D-1540), in a 1U SC504-203B chassis. I found a Intel 750 1.2TB PCI card for $899 on NewEgg last night (seemed like a good deal at 2am in the morning). Can someone point me to the riser I need to make this PCI card work? (There's also two SATA drives in the server...
  12. M

Toshiba vs. Western Digital External Drives 5 and 6 TB reviews...

Are there any reviews of 3.5" external drives in the 5 to 6TB range? I'm particularly interested in the performance characteristics of the drives. I know the Toshiba Canvio drives seem to be 7200RPM with large caches, while the Western Digital are 5400 RPM drives. But I'm wondering if this...
  13. M

Cisco SG300 vs. SG500 - Differences besides stacking

I asked this as an aside at the end of another thread, but didn't get an answer. So I'm starting a new thread since I'm about to order one myself. The only difference I've been able to find is the SG500 series is stacking. But I don't have any personal experience with either. Does anyone...
  14. M

Is the Intel 750 the performance champ in its price range?

I'm particularly interested in the 400-600 GB range, although I guess bigger is always better if I can afford it. Does anything exist that's faster than the Intel 750 around the same price? What if I'm willing to spend more? How much do I have to spend to get something faster? Thanks!
  15. M

Help choosing components for 2U Xeon-D-1540 Linux server

I'm looking to build a rackmount Xeon-D 1540 server. It will be running Ubuntu 14.04. It will be a multipurpose server, but one of the more important things it will do is run PostgreSQL. To start it will have two 6TB Harddrives and one SSD. There will be no RAID. It looks like WD just...