Help choosing components for 2U Xeon-D-1540 Linux server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jul 20, 2015
I'm looking to build a rackmount Xeon-D 1540 server.

It will be running Ubuntu 14.04. It will be a multipurpose server, but one of the more important things it will do is run PostgreSQL.

To start it will have two 6TB Harddrives and one SSD.

There will be no RAID.

It looks like WD just released 6TB Blacks, so I'm thinking I'll use those. (I was considering the HGST 6TB 7200RPM Deskstar NAS drives before I saw 6TB blacks). That said, nothing is set in stone, so if someone has a better suggestion, I'd be open to it.

For an SSD I'm thinking a 2.5" Samsung 1 TB 850 Pro. But again I'm open to suggestions.

Should I also get either an M.2 NVMe card or a PCI NVMe card of some sort? 400GB or larger would be fine. What's best for use with Postgres? Will I see better performance in real life than on the Samsung 2.5" 850 Pro? The Postgres database is being hit pretty hard, so performance is important.

I'd like to be able to add a second SSD and two more harddrives down the road. Therefore I need a rackmount case that can accommodate 6 drives. I assume that means I need a 2U.

I'm a little worried about SuperMicro's comment here: Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10SDV-TLN4F that
  • To support the new generation Intel® Xeon® processor-based motherboards,Revision N chassis is recommended. Please talk to your sales representative for details.
I'm thinking about this case here, but how I can tell if it's Revision N? SUPERMICRO CSE-822T-400LPB Black Server Case - Newegg.com

Is that case compatible with the X10SDV-TLN4F?

And just to be clear the XS10DV-TLN4F is the exact same as the X10SDV-8C-TLN4F, but the 8C is fanless?

If so I assume the best motherboard for me is the X10SDV-8C-TLN4F.

I want 128GB of RAM and for better or worse, Supermicro only recommends one 32GB DIMM, that will work, the Samsung M393A4K40BB0-CPB. Anyone know of anything comparable but cheaper and that will definitely work well?

For that matter has anyone tried the Samsung DIMM? Link is here: Amazon.com: Samsung M393A4K40BB0-CPB 32GB DDR4-2133 Memory MEM-DR432L-SL01-ER21: Computers & Accessories

Anyone have links to a 2.5" drive sled for the 3.5" drive bays in the case I've picked out?

And some people complain that the power supply on that case doesn't have a long enough 24-pin cable, and the fan cables are too short as well. Can someone give me links to recommend extensions?

I assume that even down the road with two SSDs and 4 harddrives, 400 W is plenty for this system. Or should I step up to something like this SUPERMICRO CSE-825TQ-563LPB Black Server Case - Newegg.com with a 560 watt power supply?

I know I've asked a lot of questions, but I don't want to make any costly mistakes by buying the wrong thing. Thanks for your help!

Lastly, there's not anything that's known to be coming out in the next few weeks that will be better than any of these components, is there?

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
  • 400w will be more than enough power.
  • In a big case like that, I would get the version with the fan. @Patrick did something stupid with a mitx motherboard passive cooling recently. It does show why. ASRock EPC612D4I review (look about 2/3 down). You can see how hard it is to cool in a 1U. Normal E5's have much bigger heatsinks than the 8C passive one has. In a 1 U maybe OK, in 2 U i'd be worried.
  • With SATA 2.5" in 3.5" I use these and they work GREAT: 654540 001 HP 2 5" SSD to 3 5" SATA Adapter Tray SAS HDD Bracket Bay | eBay not too expensive either.
  • Revision N is basically a new standard from a few years ago so most modern cases (2012+) probably are fine.
Questions are good ones!