Search results

1. J

Wireless AP selection

Hi. I know a lot of people praise the Ruckus units with unleashed firmware. And I can understand why, especially if you could purchased something like an R710 a year or so ago for <$200. However that just doesn't seem like the market today. The best I've managed to find right now is $250 and...
  2. J

LSI HBA BIOS disk ID

This is something that has always frustrated me. I don't understand how the BIOS comes up with these disk names/IDs. I've looked in the LSI configuration utility and I can see the #0700 and #8300 are the PCI slots. But the "IDXX" for the disks isn't referenced in the LSI utilities or using...
  3. J

Proxmox networks

I'm relatively new to Proxmox and I'm looking for insight on proper setup of Proxmox networking. It seems there are various networks that need to be considered. Admin (gui/ssh), cluster (corosync), storage, migration/replication, external network for guest VM's, and maybe more I'm missing. What...
  4. J

Joyent Triton/SDC/SmartOS discussion

Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you out there are using Joyent Triton (formally SmartDataCenter) and SmartOS in production/homelab/whatever? I'm testing it out and know I'm going to run into some questions once I get past the basics. My biggest complaint is that there aren't many places to...
  5. J

Learning Storage Spaces, poor 4k writes

Hi, I'll preface this with I've not worked with storage spaces until a like 2 days ago. I wanted to see how it performed in server 2016. I'm working my way through basic mirrors, onto write-back cache/read cache, and tiered storage. I'm NOT doing S2D testing (not interested until the licensing...
  6. J

Intel RMM issues

Hi Guys, Does anyone else have issues with Intel console redirection (KVM)? I have 2 Intel R2312GL4GS that I consistently have issues with. Basically someones the console stops responding and has to be relaunched. Other times when I go to launch it I get "no signal" or just a black screen even...
  7. J

Performance of this RAID10 make sense?

Hi guys. I'm looking for some help determining if the storage performance I'm seeing makes sense. Some system specs; barebones server: Intel R2312GL4GS controller: Intel RMS25JB080 (IR firmware 20) disks: 4 x SAMSUNG PM853T 960GB ram: 16 x 8GB (128GB) cpu: 2 x E5-2670 So, I boot into the Intel...
  8. J

nevermind

EDIT: nevermind, I'm stupid. The RMS25JB080 driver is installed. It's the onboard SCU I forgot was even there that wasn't installed. :oops:
  9. J

Correctable ECC in event log

Doing some tests on a server today. Intel R2312GL4GS, 2xE5-2670's, 128GB ram. Have been running memtest86+ v5.01 for the past 7hrs without any errors so far. However I noticed an "amber" status for the health in the BMC web console. Check the logs and see this. Event ID Time Stamp Sensor...
  10. J

RAID controller bottlenecks

Hello, I'm looking to get some discussion on RAID controllers limits with some of the newer storage technology. Specifically what I'm interested in is if current hardware RAID controllers are presenting bottlenecks to all flash based storage arrays. And also how do current hardware RAID...
  11. J

Anyone looking for a good deal on an Eaton 6kVA UPS?

Hey guys, I just purchased a Eaton 9PX6KTF5 (208V 6kVA UPS with a 120V stepdown transformer) from a guy on eBay. After he found out the batteries had past expiration he is having a brand new unit direct from Eaton drop shipped to me. The price was $2,450. Best price I've found them for is ~$4k...
  12. J

Cisco SG500X-48 @ Ebay

Cisco Small Business 500X Series SG500X-48-K9-NA Listed at $485 with Best Offer Accepted offered of $400/each for 4 The SG500X has 2 SFP+ ports and can be stacked at up to 10Gb on dedicated stacking ports via copper or fiber. Can also be mixed with the SG500 lineup in a stack as well. I think...
  13. J

affordable 48 port switch with SFP+ and stacking, access layer

I'm looking for some access layer switches. 48 x 1Gb, 2-4 SPF+ uplinks, and stacking capable. I need 3 of them and one also needs to be PoE+ (mostly for low power VoIP phones, but potentially 2-3 PoE+ devices). I was looking at the SG500X lineup. Was thinking I could even get two of the...
  14. J

Degraded Volume,discuss before I replace disk

I'm cross posting this with the freenas forums. Hoping someone here might now anything about this. Today I noticed one of my freenas servers was in a degraded state. I found out a bit late it seems because my email moved the messages to "clutter" (sigh). Anyway, I'm just trying to determine if...
  15. J

Need help with storage on a R710 Hyper-V Host

Hello STH. I need to get some storage situated ASAP. Not really up-to-date on the current offerings though. The storage is going to be for a Hyper-V 2012R2 host. A Dell R710 with a Perc 6/i. I have ~500-600GB of data and want to get 1TB+ of redundant storage. Server will probably be running at...
  16. J

Advice on NAS for backups, $2k budget

Hello, I'm putting together a NAS as a backup target for some virtual and physical servers. It will be used in production and I want to stick with a rackmount system. It will run FreeNAS (or ZFS in some fashion) and be replicated to our main facility (also running FreeNAS). I have a budget of...