affordable 48 port switch with SFP+ and stacking, access layer

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

JayG30

Feb 23, 2015
I'm looking for some access layer switches. 48 x 1Gb, 2-4 SPF+ uplinks, and stacking capable. I need 3 of them and one also needs to be PoE+ (mostly for low power VoIP phones, but potentially 2-3 PoE+ devices).

I was looking at the SG500X lineup. Was thinking I could even get two of the SG500X-48 (non-PoE) and stack it with a SG500-52P (PoE). Seems like you can do this. Manual say you have some options like only allowing the X model to be masters to support all features or setup in some "hybrid" stacking mode. It would save some money by not buying more X model, the PoE switch would be connecting phones and some WiFi users. But I'd get SPF+ modules on the X model to uplink the stack to a distribution/core switch.

However I have a set of regular SG500 48 port models in another facility and after yesterday I'm not sure I want to go that route again. The first problem was at least 1 of the ports on the PoE switch started acting up and wouldn't supply the correct amount of wattage to any phone attached to that port. I think it kept classifying the devices wrong and supplying not enough wattage. This resulted in in the phone being powered up but constantly flickering and tons of electrical static when trying to use it. This happened <1 year after purchase. Cisco did replace the switch (lifetime warranty).

Now yesterday (<1 year since last replacement, <2 years since initial purchase), middle of the day, nobody in the server room, nothing in the network changed, and poof everything goes offline. After a few hours investigating, come to find out that over half the ports on the non-PoE switch are dead (24 ports all on the left side of the switch and the extra 2 ports 49 & 50). The trunk port to the router was on those ports so lots went out. Also come to find that it looks like a block of 12 ports (7-12 in top row and 31-36 bottom row) provide network access but will not power up any devices connected to them. The switches are stacked. I just found it really odd that all this happened at the exact same time. I didn't see any electrical outage or anything. All equipment goes through a TrippLite On Line Double Conversion 6k UPS, and I'd expect that would protect it from issues through the main power source. Rack is grounded to a busbar that is (supposedly) grounded to various points (electrical panel, building, etc), but I'm not an electrician and they could have messed it up so I'm going to have to get someone to check. Obviously I'd like to figure it out.

Either way, I'm now considering alternatives as I've never had this much bad luck with a model of switches before.