Search results

1. D

Fibre channel HBA running at slower speed?

For my homelab, I ebay'ed a qlogic 2562 and 2 2560 HBAs. Idea is that the 2 hypervisors will have their storage on the san. SAN is an esos run from memory distro. So the HBAs are 8gb because that seemed adequate (hyper-v doesn't need that much disk power, AFAIK). The ESOS appliance...
  2. D

Upgraded home lab from ESXi 6.7 => ESXi 7.0u3 with no issues

I first tried the ISO upgrade method but that failed as expected (some issue where it doesn't play well with updates done via the online method.) So I created a temporary baseline called 'upgrade from 6.7 to 7.0' lol. Applied it to all 3 machines with no issues. Well, there was one on all...
  3. D

Heartbeat oddity with vsphere HA

So I deployed a new NAS which had been serving up a datastore to vsphere. One of the functions was a repo of ISO files. Another was acting as the 2nd heartbeat for HA. Unnoticed by me, the permissions on the NFS share's root were wrong, and vsphere hosts were unable to write heartbeat files...
  4. D

Unable to remediate VSAN cluster? (SOLVED)

So I decided to give VSAN a try. I already had 2 ESXi 6.7 hosts in a cluster, with an omnios NFS appliance. I repurposed the omnios appliance into host #3, installing a pass-through HBA omnios VM on one of the hosts. Works just fine. I already had several 1TB NVME cards, so I ordered a...
  5. D

X10DRL-i - 1 fan keeps spinning down and then back up?

I've been running esxi 6.7 on this for 3+ years, zero issues until now. Large case with big, relatively slow-spinning fans in the top, and door panel, as well as the typical, smaller fan on the back. For the last couple of weeks, I keep getting vsphere health alerts, where the fan cycles from...
  6. D

Migrating from CentOS7 to AlmaLinux 8

I've got several CentOS7 VMs in my home lab. They are now EOL. I wanted to migrate to AlmaLinux8, but had no idea what-all would need to be changed. Went here: How to Migrate CentOS 7 To AlmaLinux 8: A Step-by-Step Guide and followed step-by-step and... it just worked. Very nice!
  7. D

How to clean up orphaned SATA disk on omniosce?

So I just finished migrating from Linux ZFS back to omniosce. Everything is working fine, except I had a brain cramp and forgot to pull the sata ssd that had centos8 installed. Solarish OS don't by default hot-plug sata disks, so now the format command shows: AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS...
  8. D

Is it possible to upgrade Ruckus Unleashed without an outage?

I have 2 units in my house - one on the ground floor, and one in the finished basement. Whenever I've done an update before, there is an outage of several minutes, even though only one AP is offline/rebooting. I vaguely recall seeing a message about updating the configuration or whatever (e.g...
  9. D

Hyper-V vs Vsphere - my initial take

So I have my first hyper-v cluster spun up. Only one node so far - the parts for the 2nd one are trickling in. Most of the issues I had were the typical microsoft "we have it so the defaults are 95% right!" experience. Observations to date: #1 If you want local storage on a hypervisor...
  10. D

(SOLVED) Migrating linux guests from vsphere to hyper-v?

This has been an adventure, to say the least. I have 2 win10 and 2 server 2019 guests. I migrated one of the win10 (non-critical) with ease. Used the starwind v2v converter (microsoft virtual machine converter is not an option, since it can't talk to esxi 6.7 - sigh). I also tried 4 of the...
  11. D

Windows Server 2019/Hyper-V licensing?

So I've been trying to figure out what I need to do. I've spent several months playing with 2 WS-2019 VMs under esxi 6.7. No licensing yet. I intend to, since I'm happy with the results. I *am* thinking of migrating to Hyper-V, but am not sure what I am supposed to do. From what I read, if...
  12. D

(deleted)

(deleted)
  13. D

Bizarre problem with intel pro/1000 dual port NIC?

So I got two of these new off ebay for fairly cheap. Intent was to use both ports to connect one to each LAG port on my 2 new stacked 7250-24 switches. Clients are two vsphere servers. First one came off without a hitch. Second one would not work at all. Both ports showed in fastiron prompt...
  14. D

FS: 4x G.Skill Flare X Series 288-Pin DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)

I bought these without verifying they were on the MSI motherboard QVL. Here is the link on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZ7QS6L/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I purchased 2 of these (so 4 8GB sticks total.) Asking $100 for all 4. Free shipping in US48. Payment...
  15. D

Options for Illumos based storage server with RDMA?

I currently have an NFS server running ZoL 0.7.11. Works okay, but I'd prefer some Illumos based distro. My ESXi host is connected to the storage server using a point to point QSFP cable and 2 Mellanox Connectx-3 EN cards. Works okay, but I'd like to dabble with RDMA. The most visible...
  16. D

FS Crucial DDR2 unbuffered 2GB sticks (4)

Crucial part number CT25664AA667. $40 incl free S&H US 48.
  17. D

Does vsphere support any kind of hardware watchdog?

Running a 6.5 host, Build 6765664. Running fine since update to this build on 12/10. This morning around 10AM, it became unresponsive. I was out of town. so I was unable to check anything until just now. The IPMI console showed everything apparently okay, except for the host being unresponsive...
  18. D

Fan RPM threshold in vsphere 6.5?

So I have a new vsphere server. It's in a full-ATX case, with 4 case fans (front, back, top and door). All but the front fan are large (140mm) and run relatively slowly (700 RPM - this is by design - the supermicro IPMI thinks this is fine - these all show up as green status). Unfortunately, 700...
  19. D

FS LSI-6161 16-port SAS switch

Almost new (was new when purchased, for a canceled project.) Guaranteed non-DOA. Asking $400 or BO (free shipping to lower US only.) Paypal please.
  20. D

NFS 4.1 with asymmetric links?

I want to convert an iSCSI vsphere setup to use NFS instead (makes pacemaker cluster simpler, since all the failover code needs to do is manipulate the virtual IP and import/export the ZFS pool the NFS share lives on.) I am currently using a 10gbe link from the two vsphere hosts to the iSCSI...