X10DRL-i - 1 fan keeps spinning down and then back up?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
I've been running esxi 6.7 on this for 3+ years, zero issues until now. Large case with big, relatively slow-spinning fans in the top, and door panel, as well as the typical, smaller fan on the back. For the last couple of weeks, I keep getting vsphere health alerts, where the fan cycles from 400rpm (OK) to 300 (WARNING), then 0 (CRITICAL). At some point, it goes OK again. The transitions seem to be 5 minutes apart, although I don't know if that's just the poll interval vsphere uses. Is it the fan? The BMC? VSphere? Nothing bad seems to be happening, but the spamming of alerts is getting annoying...

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
if one or more FANs RPM going under a critical point all FANs are turned to max.RPM(panik mode) to blow out stuff.
after a while normal RPMs the system turns back to standard.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
I don't understand what you're getting at. I'm asking why that fan specifically goes from 400 => 300 => 0 => 400 over and over.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
Unfortunately no, since the few times it's happened it's been very late at night. I'm hoping to see this happen again during the day...

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
there is a FAN setting in the IPMI UI.
you can set it to high loads to keep the RPM as much high.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
Hmmm, seems the BMC is not doing the right thing? Set to max speed, and fan1 still says 300 rpm? Although back to 400 rpm now. I'll keep an eye out. If that doesn't stick, maybe move that fan to a different header? Or just unplug it - everything runs nice and cool, and that fan is the lowest speed one. Thanks for the help!

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
This is a big-ass fan in the top of the case. It's designed to spin relatively slowly. All of this begs the question: why was this fan+mobo working fine for 3+ years and now starts cycling up and down. AFAICT, 400 rpm IS the max this fan runs at. So why is it slowing down? Maybe the fan mode of optimal speed (I never set that - must have been the default) was too low? I have it set for full speed now, and will be watching for more glitches. Both cpus run well under 30C, so if needs be, I'll just unplug that fan entirely - there's plenty of airflow... Also, indication of an issue: regardless of anything else, turning the fan off entirely seems wrong, no? And this is the pattern: 400 => 300 => 0 and repeat...

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Also, indication of an issue: regardless of anything else, turning the fan off entirely seems wrong, no? And this is the pattern: 400 => 300 => 0 and repeat...
maybe the FAN stops sending pulses, its a 3 pin right ? this are Voltage regulated.
all stuff gets older. if the treshold was 300 and the FAN 302, but now after years...

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
I'm starting to wonder, yeah. Wife and I just finished dinner. Same BS while we were eating...

Jax_the_Gnome

Aug 14, 2014
Portland
If you change the low threshold for the fan it will stop cycling, or if you increase the speed of it.
Both cases rely on the fan being able to run at a low enough rpm to continue.

Reactions: knorps

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
i meant the critical low threshold, the point where the panic mode kicks in.

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
I'm not sure I'm understanding. The fan is actually stopping, so I'm less worried about panic mode than WTF is wrong with the fan. I do think your previous post that the fan HW might be flaking out is on point. For now, to avoid nuisance emails, I unplugged that fan, and everything is still running nice and cool.