Search results

1. N

Bhyve vs proxmox

I'm fairly happy with ProxMox, but according to this youtube video: FreeBSD's Bhyve hypervisor can clone (or snapshot) a VM in less than a second--even if running on a 10 year old laptop computer--whereas ProxMox cannot (even if, as I have done, I install ZFS as the file system everywhere used...
  2. N

Operating Temperatures for SuperMicro Motherboard?

So far the only place I've found any indication as to permissible temperature ranges is from the temperature threshold defaults shown in the IPMI: Is the temperature range listed anywhere else, or is this what people go by when it comes to SuperMicro motherboards? I don't see any mention of...
  3. N

Which cases offer the best air circulation for 9 or more internal 3.5" hard drives?

I received a Nanoxia Deep Silence 6, but I'm frankly disappointed in it. Even though it's a very large case, and even though there are 140mm case fans positioned to blow air through the stack of hard drives, the fact is this: the hard drives are packed so closely together that very little of...
  4. N

airflow and fan assumptions

1. It's gradually dawning on me that SuperMicro is designing their motherboards to go into SuperMicro cases, which have particular airflow pathways and air velocities. i.e. when their designers are picking passive heatsinks, they need some assumptions, because if they assumed less airflow...
  5. N

Recommended UPS for Home Server(s)?

I'm still putting the server together (heck, not even all the parts have yet arrived), so I don't yet have any load measurements. So, yes, I realize I'm jumping the gun by asking the question now, but I'm trying to get ahead of the curve if I can. Any consensus as to what the "must have"...
  6. N

Flashing the LSI2308 on a SuperMicro X10SL7-F motherboard to IT mode: where is firmware version 16?

It turns out FreeNAS is compatible with version 16 and nothing else. I started with version 15, and FreeNAS complained. I upgraded to version 19, and FreeNAS complained again. So I have to downgrade to version 16, but I can't find it anywhere! Argh!!!
  7. N

What are alternatives to ZFS for deduplication?

I'm reading in the FreeNAS manual that I should allow 5GB of RAM for every 1 TB of deduplicated data. Is there a way to get the same deduplication result, maybe without ZFS, but without involving large amounts of additional RAM? I'd like to consolidate some old (full) backups, and so a lot of...
  8. N

Proxmox 3.4 now integrated with ZFS

I've been on the hunt for a hypervisor or hypervisor host that has an integrated ZFS, and it seems that Proxmox may be the first to do it: Proxmox VE 3.4 Released It appears that home users can download and use Proxmox 3.4 for free. Anyone here already using Proxmox with ZFS? If so, are...
  9. N

FreeNAS as hypervisor host

Well, technically, FreeBSD will be the hypervisor host. Anyhow, starting with FreeNAS 10 (which leverages FreeBSD 10), Bhyve (part of FreeBSD 10) is available as a hypervisor. The guy running FreeNAS stated at the end of his "State of the Union" youtube video on FreeNAS that FreeNAS 10 will...
  10. N

Does Hyper-V pass raw disks better than ESXi?

Am wondering, especially after reading Patrick's excellent recent article (http://www.servethehome.com/zfs-linux-hyper-v-napp-it-web-management/), where he says "Hyper-V does one thing extremely well: it allows one to pass raw disks directly to virtual machines. "
  11. N

Recommended tools for penetration testing home server and network?

The idea would be to find and fix vulnerabilities before a blackhat somewhere discovers and exploits them. Any favorites, suggestions, or recommendations?
  12. N

Can't seem to get a list of a forum member's postings

I'm trying to get a list of matt_garman's postings. It turns out we have a similar interest (low power servers), so I wanted to read up on what he has written. Here's his profile page: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?members/matt_garman.78/ but no matter what I do, I can't get a...
  13. N

Avoid platforms with USB 3.0 but which lack USB 2.0?

Noticed the MBD-X9SBAA-F-O seems like a nice low power platform (one of the very few with ECC memory), but it seems hamstrung by its use of only USB 3.0 without any USB 2.0. e.g. see comments in reviews here: SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SBAA-F-O Mini ITX Server Motherboard - Newegg.com Such a pity...
  14. N

Best choice for an inexpensive Active Directory Domain Controller for a mostly Window home network ?

Apparently freeNAS is one possibility (The Ars NAS distribution shootout: FreeNAS vs NAS4Free | Ars Technica ) but it comes with a bunch of caveats. What are good choices? If you're not using Windows $erver, what are you using?
  15. N

What to look for in a Sata-3 cable?

This article makes it sound like they're all the same: SATA 3Gb/s vs. 6Gb/s Cable Performance (Revisited) - Puget Custom Computers I hate to assume that, though. I don't want to risk spoiling performance because of some cheap cable. So, what to look for?
  16. N

Must I buy an upgrade to Win8.1Pro to get Hyper-V? Is there a free way to add it to 8.1(non-Pro)?

e.g. Hyper-V Server 2012 is available for free: http://blogs.technet...tion-itpro.aspx Not sure if that gets me there though, as it looks like maybe it's standalone (similar to ESXi)? I've dabbled only slightly in ESXi and Virtual Box, but I'd like to try Hyper-V with Windows 8.1 as the host...
  17. N

Best tweaks for reducing ESXi idle power consumption?

The mother board I'm using (the SuperMicro MBD-X10SL7-F-O) to run ESXi has a BIOS setting that relates to conserving power. Presently it's set to favor performance over saving power (which is the factory default). Are there any relevant settings in ESXi also? For instance, I see under...
  18. N

cheapest motherboard + CPU with ECC for running freenas for doing backups?

I hope to build an all-in-one (https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/which-esxi-all-in-one-nas-is-easiest-to-install-learn-use.4681/) for the main file server, and I'd like a separate system to back it up. Hopefully the backup system won't be as expensive. I'm open to used...
  19. N

quiet enclosure

I've ordered a Nanoxia Deep Silence 6 for what I hope will be a quiet enclosure for a home environment: Nanoxia - Turn on German Engineering In theory, it can hold 16 hard drives. I'm starting with just 6 hard drives, but my theory is that I can space them apart, giving them plenty of airflow...