Search results

1. smithse79

Looking for lower power server to act as storage host

My current server setup is getting long in the tooth, and I'm looking to upgrade. Firstly, I need somewhere to move my storage. Currently, I am running a Dual E5-2670 setup that also runs Plex. This connects to a NetApp DS4246 that houses my disks for bulk storage. I am just looking to replace...
  2. smithse79

Time to upgrade?

I have an old Dell H200E that I bought back in 2015. It is serving it's purpose, but I'm wondering if there is something better that I could run. I have a Dual Xeon E5-2670 that I am using for Plex and an SMB file server. The server has the H200E connected to both controllers of a DS4243 (with...
  3. smithse79

Bug in Intel Atom C2000 series processors?

I've not seen it mentioned over here just yet, but there is quite a bit of talk on the various IT /r/'s about something that came out in Intel's 4Q16 earnings statement about a problem in certain processors. It appears looking in this whitepaper...
  4. smithse79

RDS Server build questions

I work in an educational setting at the university level. We've been having issues in one of our labs that need both Linux and Windows. We've tried booting Linux and running Windows VMs inside. That didn't really work out too well. Now I'm thinking about a RDS server so users can just remote...
  5. smithse79

Dashboard interface

I've got several apps that I have set up outside access to using port forwarding. It's getting a bit tedious using a bunch of different ports one for each app and it's making my firewall look like swiss cheese. I would like to set up a dashboard page that I could log in to that shows basic...
  6. smithse79

Xeon Phi

So, I work in a university research center and we have a small cluster used for parallel processing. It consists of ~50 supermicro blades running a combination of Xeon 5600, 5400, and E5 processors. Our current setup uses an entire rack and a half, and a ton of power and creates a lot of heat...
  7. smithse79

What to do with this SSD...

I've been looking for Intel SSDs for a while and found 2 with REALLY good deals. I bought a S3500 200GB and S3700 100GB. The 200GB disk I stuck into my Hyper-V host to run my VMs off of. However, I'm not sure what to do with the S3700. I was thinking about putting it into my ZFS as either a SLOG...
  8. smithse79

Owncloud

Does anyone here use OwnCloud? I've been toying around with it, wanting to use it for backup of phone pictures to my media, having access to files/pics/etc. anywhere things like that. I've got it installed on a Hyper-V VM running Centos 6.6 with 4 v-cpus and 16GB of RAM. This is on my Dell...
  9. smithse79

Am I boned? (Dell CS24-SC errors)

So I went to change out fans in my JBOD enclosure today and figured would find out exactly what kind of RAM was in the server I've got it attached to by opening it up and physically looking. After putting it all back together everything goes through POST and begins to boot fine. Centos goes...
  10. smithse79

Type of memory installed?

I have a Dell CS24-SC with 8GB of RAM that I want to upgrade. Is there a way to find out which type of ECC memory is installed without having to tear into it and physically look at it and look up a part number? OpenManage and the BMC just say ECC DDR2. This is an old cloud server so the service...
  11. smithse79

Is a C2758 enough for an enterprise Windows DC?

So, it's almost time to replace our infrastructure hardware at work and I want to propose to my boss a new way of getting our hardware. I've made significant changes to the use of our hardware since our last refresh and frankly our current hardware is not being used very efficiently. One way I...
  12. smithse79

FS: Supermicro X10SRH-CF-O and Cisco 3550 Switch

I recently got a good deal on the Supermicro X10SRH-CF-0 motherboard board and bought it on impulse. Since then I've realized that I really don't have a good use for it, so I'm letting it go. Note that this board takes E5 v3 processors only and uses DDR4 memory. The box has been opened but the...
  13. smithse79

What have I done!!! or What to do?

So, I was browsing another forum the other night and saw a link to an amazing deal for a Supermicro X10SRH-CF motherboard. After some quick research I decided to go ahead to buy it. Now I'm almost having some buyer's remorse, I have no idea what to do with it. I currently have a Dell Cs24-TY...
  14. smithse79

Help hooking it all together

I’m not really sure where to put this, but since I’m looking for specific advice about networking as part of it, I figured here was as good a place as any. Current Storage: I am in the process of upgrading my storage solution. Currently, I have a SansDigital 4 bay eSATA enclosure connected to a...