Dashboard interface

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smithse79

Sep 17, 2014
I've got several apps that I have set up outside access to using port forwarding. It's getting a bit tedious using a bunch of different ports one for each app and it's making my firewall look like swiss cheese. I would like to set up a dashboard page that I could log in to that shows basic system health (I have Munin running) along with links to my various apps (couchpotato, sickrage, owncloud) using my AD login for authentication to the page. I am NOT a web developer so I wouldn't even know where to start for this. Is there a FOSS turn-key dashboard that I could modify to make work? Would it be difficult/un-wise to do this with a custom built page? Is it even possible to do with the AD auth?

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I've got several apps that I have set up outside access to using port forwarding. It's getting a bit tedious using a bunch of different ports one for each app and it's making my firewall look like swiss cheese. I would like to set up a dashboard page that I could log in to that shows basic system health (I have Munin running) along with links to my various apps (couchpotato, sickrage, owncloud) using my AD login for authentication to the page. I am NOT a web developer so I wouldn't even know where to start for this. Is there a FOSS turn-key dashboard that I could modify to make work? Would it be difficult/un-wise to do this with a custom built page? Is it even possible to do with the AD auth?
What system are these apps running on? You could use a reverse proxy apache server to pretty much do what you're looking to. I know virtually nothing about web developing but I have an apache docker that I use as a reverse proxy to access all my apps through and you only need to open one port. So to access each docker app I go to https://myhostname.com/app. I know others have then created a placeholder webpage with links to each app as well but I don't have experience with that.

smithse79

Sep 17, 2014
Currently a mix of Windows and Centos. Plex, CP, and Sickrage are on Windows (but may be moving soon anyway). Munin, and Owncloud are on separate Centos machines.

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
You definitely want a reverse proxy for this. Also, look at running Muximux in a Docker contianer so you only need one tab open to access all of your different applications.

Reactions: spazoid

smithse79

Sep 17, 2014
Ideally, I'd have the dashboard running in it's own VM and be able to access all of the apps from different machines (physical and virtual). Also, I have no experience with docker...

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
You definitely want a reverse proxy for this. Also, look at running Muximux in a Docker contianer so you only need one tab open to access all of your different applications.
Thanks @rubylaser, this is exactly what my setup was missing!

Ideally, I'd have the dashboard running in it's own VM and be able to access all of the apps from different machines (physical and virtual). Also, I have no experience with docker...
Take this from me, I know next to nothing about Linux. I'm a Windows sysadmin and I learned docker very quickly and I could NEVER go back to running these apps in Windows after seeing how easy it is to manage them in Docker. I would give it a very serious look.

smithse79

Sep 17, 2014
So I just had a thought. Would a Rasberry Pi be good for the reverse proxy? Just let it serve data from the other computers.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
So I just had a thought. Would a Rasberry Pi be good for the reverse proxy? Just let it serve data from the other computers.
My RPi 3 arrives next week, but network performance is not amazing on any of the models I have tested thus far.