Am I boned? (Dell CS24-SC errors)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smithse79

Sep 17, 2014
So I went to change out fans in my JBOD enclosure today and figured would find out exactly what kind of RAM was in the server I've got it attached to by opening it up and physically looking. After putting it all back together everything goes through POST and begins to boot fine. Centos goes through it's daemon start process and everything. Once it gets past that point, about where X should start, the computer completely hangs. in the BMC I'm seeing these errors:

Processor 1 IERR (internal error) detected
Processor 2 IERR (internal error) detected
Obviously, this means that something is likely wrong with the hardware. Although it's showing errors on both processors, would this indicate more of a problem with the motherboard? They started showing up right after a power outage we had a month or so ago apparently but it was able to deal with the problem apparently. Now it doesn't want to even start.

smithse79

Sep 17, 2014
Well that worked..... I was able to get into it booting runlevel 3. So I changed the /etc/inittab and now it's happy. I don't really need graphics on the local machine anyway, but I wonder why X would cause a hang like that.