Search results

1. E

connect-x uefi FW?

Hi all I have a few ConnectX-3s (MCX311) in my network. The one in my PC/workstation (on an Asus H87-pro) seems to be causing some minor issues as the card does not have a EFI bootrom. Looking at the Mellanox documentation I found that the MCX341 DOES have an EFI bootrom. Apart from the...
  2. E

Reduce Epyc idle power consumption?

I have a Epyc 7302 in a supermicro H11SSL-i motherboard: works great. In the machine I have 2 6TB spinners and a handfull of SSDs (2*SATA, 2 NVME + 1 Optane 800p) and a single port Mellanox ConnectX-3. (almost) idle power consumption for this system is just over 100W. Are there any settings in...
  3. E

What does Media and Data Integrity Errors mean?

In my fallback server I have a Samsung 970 evo disk that reports the following: root@lair ~]# smartctl -a /dev/nvme0 smartctl 7.0 2018-12-30 r4883 [x86_64-linux-3.10.0-1062.1.2.el7.x86_64] (local build) Copyright (C) 2002-18, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org === START OF...
  4. E

zfs special vdev

I am looking to build a new server, and I am considering to use a special vdev for speeding up access to my spinning rust pool (2*6TB in mirror). I do not seem to be able to find if SSDs for special VDEVs require PLP or not? Anybody have an idea whether PLP is essential or if I can use some more...
  5. E

EPYC 7002 memory

hi I am looking to build an Epyc system (probably 7302P or a 7282) on a Supermicro H11SSL-i board. I have some doubts about the memory: I am planning on 128GB for now, preferably easily expandable. 8*16G is more expensive than 4*32. 4*32GB now gives me the option to expand later. How much...
  6. E

Cooler for H11SSL board

As I am settling for Epyc for my next server build, I have started to look into coolers for the H11SSL boards. I kind of prefer a Noctua. Is there anybody here that has used a NH-U14S TR4-SP3 on that board. Will it fit or does it block something? And how about the 12cm version: NH-U12S TR4-SP3...
  7. E

New server - Epyc vs Threadripper

Hi I am looking to build a new home server for ZFS and a number of VMs. The idea is to build a system using: - 2 * HGST HE8 6TB disks for media storage etc (already available) - 2 (available) SATA SSDs (Crucial M500) - 1 * optane 800p for SLOG - 2 * NVME disks for the VMs and some home space...
  8. E

Lifetime WD red

I have a file server with 6 WD red 3 TB that are around 5 years old. I have not had any problems, running them in RAID-Z2 (ZFS scrub does not find any errors ever). I am now wondering how much more life I can get out of them. Should I replace them or wait for problems to show up (I still have a...
  9. E

Intel M10 as Zlog in low end file server

Hi I am looking to upgrade my file server a bit. It now has a E3-1200v2. I am looking to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 3600 or Ryzen 7 3700X. I would like to use sync=always to improve data consistency. Most if not all access is using NFS anyhow. On the motherboard I am looking at (Asrock Rack X470D4U)...
  10. E

full height PCIE to 2 M2 PCIE

I have a aging Freebsd ZFS NAS based on a Supermicro X10SL7-F with 6 WD Reds and 2 Crucial M500 SSD. After seeing https://www.servethehome.com/exploring-best-zfs-zil-slog-ssd-intel-optane-nand/ where Patrick points at the Intel 32GB as a ZLOG, I got interested to expand life time of my existing...
  11. E

How to enable SR-IOV on Connectx-3

I have a few ConnectX-3 (MCX 311, ethernet) and am looking to activate SR-IOV on one of them on my Asrock Z370 Extreme 4 motherboard. I have a few questions for which I cannot find answers (or my Google-FU is lacking): 1- When I try to check the configuration I get: [root@lair ~]# mlxconfig -d...