Search results

1. A

nvme with 10g enclosure?

Not sure the form factor matters as much as the bus interface which can come in cards, motherboard slots, etc. I mentioned gen 4 and 5 pcie in my original post so yea talking about that. There are tons of small non-sequential block requests back and forth from the virtual machines that I need...
  2. A

nvme with 10g enclosure?

Looking for an nvme enclosure that can support gen 4 or 5 pcie nvme. I only need about 4tb of space as this will be an iscsi target over 10gbe networking for virtual machines. Any recommendations? I'm only finding really larger enterprise solutions that I don't need.
  3. A

PM9A3 Firmware / ERRORMOD related to fw version

I got in touch with Samsung and they said the magician software will work with them even though it says its not supported. We have the PM9A3's in a dell 7525. They are working but its a bit iffy so far.
  4. A

Dell 15th gen servers with 3rd party ssd drives

we have the new 7525 servers and are having issues with the samsung 2.5 nvme drives. The dells refusing to play nice with them.
  5. A

qsfp+ switch seems too good to be true

it does and we've got this working with s2d. Its screaming fast 40g and with the RDMA the hyper v cluster is just super fast overall. Highly recommend this switch even though its older technology. notably with this we HAD to use the connectx-3 PRO or greater cards for the RDMA support.
  6. A

need a mini server for home domain controller and a few virtual machines

looking to replace an older xeon server with something small but powerful. I see things like the dell t350 that look interesting but was wondering if anyone had recommendations for something with at least 12 cores / threads, 64g ram and nvme drives that might work as a small home server.
  7. A

orbi 2x src60 + 1x srr60

I changed my network to all unifi and now have these orbi devices available. They are really powerful and in great shape. Cost $1.5k (ish) new, selling for $250.
  8. A

[SOLVED] [Rec] Inexpensive Dual-Port 40GbE PCIe

Good point, I bought the cx3 PRO cards. I was super careful to only get those for the RDMA and such.
  9. A

[SOLVED] [Rec] Inexpensive Dual-Port 40GbE PCIe

I just put a bunch of connectx3 cards in my lab servers. They are working amazing well and they are cheap on ebay.
  10. A

build nvme server for hyperv cluster

I'm currently using s2d with ssd for my little hyperv dev cluster. I'd like to switch it to a san/nas style nvme server and use nvme-of from the servers to try and achieve max performance (everything is 40g networking). Any suggestions on cards / enclosures for such a build?
  11. A

oh also, the 10gbps SFP+ transceiver I put in the SFP+ ports work at both 10g and 1g speeds so I was able to use that to connect it up to the router as well. The other 10gbps sfp+ port goes to the QNAP for shared file storage and backups. All works great.
  12. A

Wanted to make a followup note on this. I have everything in the DC, I hooked up all the connectx3 cards, arista 32x switch, updated all of the drivers, turned RDMA and other needed features on. This thing works like a CHAMP. I'm getting almost full 40gbe on each port and the RDMA is working...
  13. A

epyc pcie4.0 nvme server. truenas or freenas?

I put together a full 40g 32 port network for about $2k total using connectx3 cards from ebay and an arista dcs-7050qx-32. Currently using it for rdma in S2D but want to build a SAN instead to test some things. If true/free nas wont support it, any suggestions? I can get nvme-of with a qnap...
  14. A

epyc pcie4.0 nvme server. truenas or freenas?

I'm building a SAN/NAS server to use with my homelab & 40gb infiniband network. My plan is to build something that can do NVME-OF from the 4 big physical hyperv servers I have. Does anyone know if either of these support NVME-OF? Are truenas or freenas even the right choices for software to...
  15. A

Arista DCS-7050QX-32 ethernet console not lighting up

nm.... found the problem. I thought the bottom ethernet was also console and it was not. Ordered an rj45 rs232 to usb cable.
  16. A

Arista DCS-7050QX-32 ethernet console not lighting up

Just got my new arista unit (unopened factory new) and plugged it all in. Problem is I can't get the console ethernet to light up or connect at all. Is this behavior anyone else has seen? is there something maybe I'm missing in the directions to get it to allow me to console in?
  17. A

qpi vs pcie lanes in multi processor system

I'm putting 40gb qsfp+ cards in all of these servers and they also have nvme cards so bus saturation/speed is starting to become a concern.
  18. A

best / cheapest 10gbe 5 port switch

Noted. The runs are about 9 meters on average end to end which appears to be within spec so I think we are good. Also we have cat6e so it should be better with distance. I've tested the runs with 10g to 10g direct through the rj45 wall port and it works great.
  19. A

The netgear 5 port is fairly ideal but $387 on amazon. The mikrotik ($138) + 4x sfp+ to 10gbe transceivers ($39 on amazon each or $156) so $294. So netgear is $77.4 per port and the mikotik is $73.5. I'm probably going with the netgear because its native and I won't have to have multiple...
  20. A

Sorry for not being more clear. All of the ports have to be rj45 10gbe. The cat6e run that comes up through the walls from the basement terminates at an rj45 wall jack in my home office. Because I now have several devices in my office that have native rj45 10gbe, I need a small switch to...