nvme with 10g enclosure?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AllenAsm

Jul 30, 2018
Looking for an nvme enclosure that can support gen 4 or 5 pcie nvme. I only need about 4tb of space as this will be an iscsi target over 10gbe networking for virtual machines. Any recommendations? I'm only finding really larger enterprise solutions that I don't need.

Tech Junky

Oct 26, 2023
10gbps over USB is cheap. TB would get you closer to gen 3 speeds. USB4 gets you closer to the 4GB/s speed just above Gen 3.

There aren't Gen 4/5 speed enclosures but maybe a dock of sorts but mostly it would need to be an internal drive to get those speeds.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
What do you mean with "nvme"?
m.2 ssds? or u.2/3 ssds? or pcie add on card ssds? or esdff ssds?

AllenAsm

Jul 30, 2018
Not sure the form factor matters as much as the bus interface which can come in cards, motherboard slots, etc. I mentioned gen 4 and 5 pcie in my original post so yea talking about that. There are tons of small non-sequential block requests back and forth from the virtual machines that I need to be able to handle in parallel.

As for usb3 and 4, I thought they didn't have the same parallel processing capabilities that 10gbe has? Also networking is important as this will backend 2 home server physical machines.