epyc pcie4.0 nvme server. truenas or freenas?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

AllenAsm

Jul 30, 2018
I'm building a SAN/NAS server to use with my homelab & 40gb infiniband network. My plan is to build something that can do NVME-OF from the 4 big physical hyperv servers I have. Does anyone know if either of these support NVME-OF? Are truenas or freenas even the right choices for software to support this?

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Neither can do IB nor NVME-OF for the time being (and the forseeable future).
You could run the new TrueNas scale (linux based) and maybe mod it to suit your needs

AllenAsm

Jul 30, 2018
freenas will become truenas core...

Why do you want to use infiniband?
I put together a full 40g 32 port network for about $2k total using connectx3 cards from ebay and an arista dcs-7050qx-32. Currently using it for rdma in S2D but want to build a SAN instead to test some things.

If true/free nas wont support it, any suggestions? I can get nvme-of with a qnap but its only available (that I can tell) in their enterprise variants which are budget busters for this project.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
If true/free nas wont support it, any suggestions? I can get nvme-of with a qnap but its only available (that I can tell) in their enterprise variants which are budget busters for this project.
Any linux variant should be able to do it - thats why i suggested TrueNas Scale.
Or your favorite distribution with whatever filesystem you prefer (including zfs o/c)

Reactions: AllenAsm