Search results

1. N

Home network and lab network - new home build questions

I am in the process of closing on a new home and am deciding now is finally the time to get away from the EERO and random switches I have around the house to keep my home network alive. The goal in the end is my office will be in the top corner of the house and the network panel will be in our...
  2. N

FS: EliteDesk 800 G6 Mini, 2.5GbE Flex IO Modules

First up on the chopping block! Moved my "home server" to a Z2 Mini that I had sitting about from a (now abandoned) project so this one is no longer necessary. I also grabbed 3 total (one installed in the Mini) 2.5GbE NICs and have the two excess for sale as well. I will take offers, and prices...
  3. N

Delete me!

Deleted and moved to existing FS post
  4. N

Compellent FS8600 worth in a lab?

I have been seeing a few of these pop up here and there. Unfortunately unlike their JBOD chassis - these seem to be full SAN setups running FluidFS. My question is - other than assuming these need Dell branded drives - what else would I be missing to get this running as a SAN or enclosure? Or...
  5. N

[FS][US-SC] Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen2

Call this the “my dog got sick and cost me a ton of money” sale. I bought this X1E2 in July with a 3 year accidental damage warranty. Full specs and warranty info are in the pics linked below. Includes a second AC adapter, Ethernet dongle, and a nice “leather” sleeve for the laptop to stay as...
  6. N

WTS: Dell Latitude 5480 and WD15 Dock (No longer for sale)

Up for sale is a Dell Latitude 5480 that has served me well and has been used but not abused. I bought it as a corporate surplus - and was able to get the warranty transferred to me. Laptop has a June 2018 build/ship date and warranty expires SEP 15 2021. The specs are: Core i5-7440HQ 16GB RAM...
  7. N

My "simple" AIO server

I started my life in IT as self-learning and side-projects, with a Dell R710 being a crown jewel of my lab at the time. When I moved I sold the server and downsized to a small PC as a server and a Drobo for RAID storage. But the itch has returned - and even working in a data center hasn't...
  8. N

Quiet NAS oriented case for oddball board?

Current hardware: I have a Supermicro X10SLH-LN6TF with Xeon E3-1241 v3, 32GB RAM, Perc H200 (to be flashed to IT mode), and Quadro P620 all going into this setup along with 5x 4TB drives (and will be buying 3 more minimum). Hardware needs to fit into the chassis since I do not want to buy MORE...
  9. N

GPU Passthrough in Proxmox

This might be something discussed before - but I have gone through every corner of the internet looking for answers including here. I have a Dell T1700 SFF with the following specs: Core i7-4790, 32GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Quad-port gigabit NIC, Quadro P620 Attached to that is a Drobo 5D with 5x 4TB...
  10. N

(US-Dallas TX) Dell C1100 lots of 5

This popped up on my typical searches. They are long in the tooth now by the Xeon E5 standards now - but for $150 for 5 servers with 72GB RAM each... almost worth picking up for just the RAM! Only catch seems to be you need to be able to arrange local pick-up in Dallas TX. Thought I'd pass on...
  11. N

ATX case for LGA1366 build

I'm trying to make a QUIET and tower-based server for my house, which I am hoping to keep on a budget as well. Right now I have: Supermicro X8DTL-3F motherboard 2x Intel L5639 CPU 24Gb DDR3 10600 ECC RAM 5x WD Se 3Tb drives 4 port Intel i350 NIC IBM M1015 HBA I want to put it all together into...
  12. N

Help me build a low-power server!

As the title says - I am running around in circles trying to decide how to build my next server. My requirements for myself are: 1) Low power (Xeon-D is definitely on the menu) 2) Must be able to run ESXI or Hyper-V 3) Must be able to take my existing 5x 3Tb WD Se drives (with space to grow) 4)...
  13. N

Career expansion advice for a "jack of all trades"

I have loved this forum from the minute I discovered it, and learn something new every time I come here. To give a brief background, I was a Navy electronics technician for 6 years where I worked on weapons and targeting systems among other equipment. My "main job" was to troubleshoot, maintain...
  14. N

FS: Dell R710 dual hex-core L5639 loaded

I listed this over the past summer with my laptop I am clearing out of my house - in hopes to make room for some new projects and book money to return back to school. The specs are copied out of my previous posting: -2x Intel L5639 6-core processors -24Gb ECC DDR3 RAM -PERC H700 with good...
  15. N

FS: Thinkpad T440p with ultra dock (attempt 2)

I posted this over this past summer, however had to make a move out-of-state for family and work reasons. I now am putting everything back up for sale. The Thinkpad was purchased back in December 2013, and warranty has JUST expired on it if I remember correctly. However, a call to Lenovo will...
  16. N

FS: Intel NUC DCCP847DYE

I was using this as a HTPC for some time, but have no need for it anymore. Comes with 4Gb RAM installed, 64Gb SSD, and an Intel Wireless-N card (system is wiped, cannot recall specific model at this moment) Asking $225 shipped. Do not have the VESA mount for it anymore.
  17. N

FS: Lenovo Thinkpad T440p with Ultra Dock

Part of my "spring cleaning", I have my Thinkpad T440p up for sale. It is the model with the Full HD display. -Core i7-4700MQ -8Gb RAM -240Gb Mushkin SSD -Smartcard/CAC card reader -Fingerprint sensor Also comes with the Ultra Dock and a second AC adaptor (a 130w for the dock and a 90w for the...
  18. N

FS: Dell R710 2x L5639 24Gb RAM H700 and more

It's time for the overdue spring cleaning - and I am ready to downscale my home server to something more energy efficient (and easier to maintain by myself and my wife) for our growing family. 1) Dell R710 - $2400 shipped -2x Intel L5639 6-core processors -24Gb ECC DDR3 RAM -PERC H700 with good...
  19. N

All-in-one server using Hyper-V

Hello all, I lurk here on the regular and on /r/homelab on reddit to gain new insight into my lab... this is one time I think I need to ask for help though. I currently have a Dell R710 that has dual L5639, 48Gb RAM, PERC H710, and I currently have 2x Intel 520 SSDs, and 5x WD Se 3Tb drives (4...
  20. N

Dell CS24-TY (C1100) BIOS update question

I have been running a Dell CS24-TY (known as the C1100) for the past year. It has some VERY old BIOS and BMC firmware on it, which I wanted to update. Mostly for more stability (seeing a good handful of QPI errors) and for hopefully better BMC functionality. I seem to be running S993A14 BIOS and...