Search results

1. DrStein99

Clover boot help: Booting to NVME Windows 10, on machine with old BIOS

My workstation bios on Dell Precision T7600 is too old to boot to NVME ssd, which I have on a PCIE card, in a x4 slot. I cloned image copied the windows 10 partitions from existing drive to the NVME drive, using Macarium. Clover bootstrap seems to be my only option to get to boot this...
  2. DrStein99

d-link wifi routers are crap, please help me choose access point

I went through 2 d-link devices and have decided I will not buy one again. The first one had problems like not syncing the ntp system time, disconnecting, random shut down forcing a reboot. I gave up on it, then tried to load open-WRT, which was kind of fun until I think something went haywire...
  3. DrStein99

Please help me select an NVME ssd for main workstation, 512gb

I have a main workstation for developing software, and other cache/processor intense. I am now using 3 striped SATA ssd's, and believe one of them is about to fail, after 4-6 years of use. I will retire the 3 drives, and am looking to replace with a single SSD. I choose the NVME type, since I...
  4. DrStein99

Forward a port / route traffic from a remote VPN to local network

I am looking to forward a port and route HTTP traffic from my external VPN (10.8.0.x) to a server on my local network (192.168.1.x). A pfSense firewall setup local as a openVPN client , which connects to a remote openVPN server on a virtual machine in a hosting provider, with a basic command...
  5. DrStein99

Raid controller for SATA SSD's on workstation. Which one has the FASTEST bios boot up?

My main workstation takes too long to boot up. I want to shed time off it. I have a dell PERC-H (something I have to reboot to remember what it is). It's a SAS controller I pulled from a server. It probably does not belong. It takes FOREVER to wait at the prompt before the rest of my system...
  6. DrStein99

Wifi access point advice

I am beginning to use these WIFI switches, relays, and other devices in home. I use a Sophos UTM for the firewall / router. Currently using a Netgear WNDR4500 for WIFI. I believe I should probably have WIFI access points through the house, instead of just one unit. The lady decides to dust...
  7. DrStein99

Freenas advise please: RAID array ? vdev ? what are my options ?

I have a NAS (freenas) server, bank of 6 drives in a raid-5 array. I have to expand the size of the array. In order to do that, I have to offload the data - then break the array to add drives to it, then copy the data back. Not a big deal of course, just somewhat inconvenient. I do not know...
  8. DrStein99

Internal RAID card for Freenas, 8-ports

I have an LSI 9211-8i. I just added another (8)-bay SAS internal cage to my HP DL380 G7. The upgraded internal bay requires (2) more SAS ports. The 9211-8i only has 2 ports. I went through some trouble when I set it up originally 1 or 2 other SAS cards did not play nice with Freenas, and...
  9. DrStein99

Usb, HDMI, Sound over ethernet

I have a dedicated data room with a rack for my servers. No carpet or dust to suck into the fans, it is clean. I was thinking about just storing my workstation in the clean room. I have plenty existing cat-5e cables run all over the house. All I need are like 4 usb-ports (keyboard, mouse...
  10. DrStein99

HP SAS enclosure advise

I am looking to buy a cheap HP Storageworks enclosure for 3.5" SAS (or combination of SAS and SATA) from eBay. This would be to expand my existing RAID array on my HP DL380 with 2.5" drives. I would use a SAS cable from the DL380 to hookup into the external RAID enclosure. I found a few $100...
  11. DrStein99

sms (or other) to transmit message to mobile device?

Is there a gateway or otherwise method for me to relay messages to my mobile device without paying for another monthly service contract (or charging me a per-message fee) ? I tried to search on my own using google-voice, but I could not find anything conclusive on the sms services API for that.
  12. DrStein99

How can I test if my data cabling, punch-downs & jacks are 100%?

I know when I run a cable, punch it down, crimp, and plug the two ends into this LED tester, the lights indicate that I have a good connection on each pair. Then, I plug into my switch & server / computer - and the link goes up 1gb, connect all good. Is it all good at that point ? I do not...
  13. DrStein99

Power protection for many servers, I am lost - any advice?

I have 9 rack servers in the home lab, across (3) 15-amp breakers in a room with it's own air conditioner. So now the thunderstorms come in and lights flicker in house, and (2) servers just power off. So far I am lucky and have not discovered unusual malfunction. I started browsing around for...
  14. DrStein99

16-32gb ssd, good write speed $20 - 30 ?

I would like to buy a small SATA SSD for boot drive on some machines, all I need is about 16gb. I found myself lost on eBay with so many brands I do not recognize. It looks like many of them have 25mb and less than 100mb write speed. Many more I was unable to look up the stats. I could not...
  15. DrStein99

Smoke-alarms / POE - text alerts, home automation

Does anyone here have experience with the wired-power smoke alarms? My brother in-law has them at his house, but they look like just low-voltage wires connecting to rechargeable smoke alarm device. I want to take mine a step farther. I would like to replace my smoke detectors with POE /...
  16. DrStein99

Ubuntu 16.04 server - static ip address and new surprise DHCP address ? Why ?

I have 2 ip addresses on my interface: $ ifconfig eno1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr d4:ae:52:70:0f:b9 inet addr:192.168.1.3 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 inet6 addr: fe80::d6ae:52ff:fe70:fb9/64 Scope:Link UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500...
  17. DrStein99

Who knows HP pro-curve switches? 1GB

There are a bunch of eBay models for the pro-curve switches. I want 24 ports all 1gb, managed switch. Seems like a simple request. Unfortunately, there seems to be a bunch of models, I am not familiar with the line. Does anyone know the differences? Looks like so far J9021A J9029A...
  18. DrStein99

kodi or other media server options.

I have the Rasberri Pi loaded with this KODI service I heard a few people talk about. But I can not seem to tune into anything that isn't someone's personal pod-cast recordings, or college project amature recording projects. I was looking for some real content, so my senior father can watch -...
  19. DrStein99

Keystone patch panels - what are my options?

I have to put in patch panel, and ordered just a basic punch down one. Then I go on youTube and realize, that I can make it a whole lot easier for me if I just punched down to the individual keystone jacks to pop-in to a blank patch panel. Some people were complaining that the straight up...
  20. DrStein99

Server rack rails too expensive. What is poor-man's diy options?

I have 8 rack servers laying on shelves now and this is getting out of hand. I can afford a full height rack cabinet from craigslist that people are basically throwing away. Unfortunately, the rack-rails that I have to buy specific for each server cost at a bare minimum around $65 each - some...