Forward a port / route traffic from a remote VPN to local network

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DrStein99

If it does not exist ? I am probably building it.
Feb 3, 2018
New Jersey, USA
I am looking to forward a port and route HTTP traffic from my external VPN (10.8.0.x) to a server on my local network (192.168.1.x). A pfSense firewall setup local as a openVPN client , which connects to a remote openVPN server on a virtual machine in a hosting provider, with a basic command line interface.

I got confused and overwhelmed when I tried to figure this out by myself. Can someone please advise me on what this procedure would be called, so I can google-search tutorials and learn how to configure this? Or provide a link, or otherwise helpful guidance?

DavidWJohnston

Sep 30, 2020
It's a bit hard to follow what's happening... Do you have:

- A web browser running on a remote client box having IP 10.8.0.x from OpenVPN client terminated at:

- OpenVPN server instance (Tunnel A) on a pfSense box on your home network with LAN 192.168.1.x

- Where the pfSense is also an OpenVPN client, which terminates at a commercially-hosted VM acting as an OpenVPN Server (Tunnel B) ...

- With this commercially hosted VM also running an HTTP server ...

And your goal is to visit the HTTP service served by the VM in the browser of the client at the beginning?

If this is the situation, to provide an answer, I think we'd need to know:
  • What are the tunnel types (TUN or TAP) of both Tunnel A and Tunnel B?
  • What is the subnet of Tunnel B? (Where the pfSense client and commercial VM sever share an IP range?)
If I have the situation wrong, could you correct it, and if possible answer the questions? (I'll probably have more, what you're trying to do has a lot of moving parts)

Dave