Search results

1. F

Easiest way to make a windows system redundant?

Hi folks, I have a windows 8.1 system with 2 SSDs running SQL Server Express in addition to regular user applications like office and business accounting and pos software, etc. 1 ssd is the boot os drive and the other has client files as well as sql server data files and backups. As you can...
  2. F

S1400SP4 and RMS25CB080

Hi Folks, I have an Intel S1400SP4 and planning to get a SAS Module to expand storage. Looking at the RMS25CB080. It meets my needs and budget. Only concern is whether I will lose the PCI slot utility due to the size of the SAS module. Can anyone tell me if installing the SAS module will...
  3. F

ESXi: Moving VMs to another Datastore?

Hi again, I am on ESXi 6.5 FREE version and would like to move a VM from Datastore1 to Datastore2 on the same host machine. VMs can be powered off and doesn't need to be a live migration. How can I do this? I have googled but they all apply to the paid versions or refer to using a vsphere...
  4. F

ZFS newbie coming from RAID needs handholding...erm advice...

Planning to use ZFS for shared storage and need advice... This system has 8 x 3.5" drive bays and I was thinking of going RAID-Z2 with 8x2TB drives that I already have. I THINK I need 2 pools - 1 private pool for storing database backups and 1 pool for public file sharing. Backups are nightly...
  5. F

Accessing Intel BMC/IPMI over dedicated PCIe NIC on ESXi

Hi there, I have an Intel S1400 board with 2 on-board NICs from which I can access the Intel BMC when I use these 2 ports for uplink in ESXi. This system also has an Intel I350 addon-on PCIe NIC card with 4x1GB ports. When I use the addon card with the 4x1GB ports for uplink in ESXi I cannot...
  6. F

ESXI Sys Reset on Win10 Guest Shutdown

Hi, I have an ESXI 6.5 system with Windows 10 Pro as a guest. The entire system runs fine as far as I can tell. The problem is when I shutdown the windows guest, the entire physical system does a system RESET. The sensor log shows a CATERR.. 870 11/04/2017 11:52:01 CATERR Processor reports...
  7. F

FreeNAS SLOG Device?

Two quick questions: 1. Does the slog DEVICE need to be dedicated? Or can you have a dedicated slog PARTITION on a device that is used for other non-freenas purposes like file storage, etc. (Yes, I understand this will impact performance, but is it possible?) 2. I made question 2 into a poll...
  8. F

S1400FP Fan Control / SDR Editing

I have an Intel S1400FP2 Server Board in a NON-Intel Chassis with a Noctua NH-U12DXi4 which is an active CPU cooler. (Comes with a Noctua NF-F12 PWM fan). The fan speed hits the lower critical threshold as the fan control is configured for higher speed fans meant for 1u chassis. This causes...