ESXI Sys Reset on Win10 Guest Shutdown

Discussion in 'VMware, VirtualBox, Citrix' started by Fahd, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Fahd

Fahd New Member

Hi,

I have an ESXI 6.5 system with Windows 10 Pro as a guest. The entire system runs fine as far as I can tell. The problem is when I shutdown the windows guest, the entire physical system does a system RESET.

The sensor log shows a CATERR..

870 11/04/2017 11:52:01 CATERR Processor reports it has been asserted - Deasserted
    869 11/04/2017 11:51:58 CATERR Processor reports it has been asserted - Asserted

I thought this might have to do with C-states being enabled in BIOS, but the problem persists even after disabling all C-states (C3, C6) on this MB - Intel DBS1400FP2.

I suspect the guest OS is giving a signal for the CPU to power off upon shutdown and somehow the physical CPU actually powers off causing the error and sys reset.

Now, how can I prevent this? :D

Thanks in advance.

2. SlickNetAaron

SlickNetAaron Member

I think you're not alone. I haven't paid much attention because I'm not using Win10 though. Have you been able Google around and search on this forum? Almost positive it's been talked about.

3. Fahd

Fahd New Member

I've googled for variations of "CATERR system reset cpu error esxi guest os shutdown". But not really getting anywhere. Any links or keyword search suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I've noticed my google search results have increasingly become less useful. I think I'm getting poor results based on my location and googles location targeting bias. Not entirely sure but this is for another thread.

4. Peanuthead

Peanuthead Active Member

Do you have the VMWare guest tools installed? If you restart the guest does the host restart? Is this ESXi 6.5 U1? Is sleep enabled on the guest OS?

5. SlickNetAaron

SlickNetAaron Member

Fahd likes this.
  6. Fahd

Fahd New Member

1. No, will install guest tools now and see if it works better.
    2. Restart does not reset the host/system. Restart works fine! Only shutdown resets the system. Interesting...
    3. This is VMware ESXi 6.5.0 (VMKernel Release Build 4887370)
    4. This is a fresh install of win10pro with default settings for everything. Any recommended sleep/power settings?