Search results

1. G

Intel AMT / vPro - are older gen CPUs locked to older firmwares with buggy KVM?

I purchased a HP 800 G6 i5-10500 with vPro and have been messing around with it using Meshcentral/Meshcommander and finding a lot of problems getting the remote .iso mount to boot and let me install any OS. Are these issues common and expected? Running latest HP bios and intel ME firmwares v14...
  2. G

Unifi USW-Enterprise8 SFP+ to RJ45 transceiver performance issues one way traffic?

Hey folks; has anyone heard of Unifi issues with SFP+ to RJ45 transceivers where only one direction of traffic is impacted by performance issues? I'm observing poor performance in what seems to be one direction of traffic. My network setup - USW-Enterprise8 with SFP+ to RJ45 to interconnect to...
  3. G

Anyone try to "upgrade" the CPU in HP EliteDesk 800 g6?

I'm curious if anyone has done or been successful at upgrading the original CPU of their HP 800 g6 with a different one (either a 65w to 35w swap, or even a newer generation upgrade)? Mine has the 10500 65w CPU and I am curious if I could possibly get a 11500T or another 35w cpu in there to...
  4. G

vPro remote management, alternatives to MeshCommander (ideally multi-os or web)?

I'm late jumping in on the vPro/AMT bandwagon but looks like MeshCommander is abandoned now and the download links lead you to 404s. I was still able to find a download link in reddit somewhere BUT as anything abandoned it is just a matter of time when MeshCommander stops working. Are you guys...
  5. G

HP 800 G6 BIOS password reset

I purchased a mini off ebay for my homelab and it came with its BIOS locked. I have tried multiple ways to force reset the password (there is no motherboard pin to set unlike older generations): How to Reset BIOS Password on a HP Laptop (Probook, Elitebook or Pavilion) I also have a CH341a BIOS...
  6. G

Does the HP flexio V2 10GB Ethernet NIC 56Q71AA do multi-gig (2.5g)?

Curious if the 56Q71AA does 2.5GB ethernet too if no 10GB uplink is available? or does it downgrade to 1Gbps
  7. G

Did I get a good deal? $650 for two HP 800 10th and 12th gen

I'm upgrading the homelab and was able to get the following for $650 + tax. 1 x HP 800 G6 i5-10500T, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD 1 x HP 800 G9 i5-12500T, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD Did I get a OK deal, GOOD deal, or GREAT deal? A quick searches around ebay it seems like I did get a good deal considering the...
  8. G

How can I make this SATA backplane fit my chassis?

I purchased a chinese 4 port hotswap chassis from taobao. The backplane that it came with is faulty and makes my linux system unstable (disks directly attached to my motherboard work just fine). I purchased a different backplane and upon eye inspection and see in the photos below; the original...
  9. G

Can you run Intel's Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) Update firmware util on X710 from Dell and Lenovo?

I'll soon be purchasing a X710-DA2 nic. I am wondering if I will be able to flash the latest intel firmware: Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) Update Utility for Intel® Ethernet Network Adapter 700 Series are the Dell / HP / Lenovo branded X710 locked down with some firmware crap? can they be...
  10. G

"balance-rr" iperf3 20Gbit uplinks to proxmox

I'm trying to maximize throughput on my dual SFP+ nics in my proxmox nodes but can't seem to get past 9.8Gbit; they're both configured with MTU 9000 and 'balance-rr' the switch is a QNAP M408 with link 'static' link aggregation enabled. For the life of me I can't seem to get iperf3 to show me a...
  11. G

ConnectX3 PCIe ASPM power saving mode - unable to enable?

After doing some research on these forums for 10G NIC - I ended up getting a ConnectX3 card as its recommended as a low-power consumption adapter. As I test it on my system and monitor the power consumption I don't see a 3 watt per port usage out of this card. I'm speculating that this is...
  12. G

New NAS build - is M1015 still king?

Is the M1015 still the best bang for buck for NAS builds? In 2014 I purchased and still use an M1015, now that I am building a second NAS while keeping the original still online I am wondering if I should buy yet another M1015 or if there may be something better/newer? My use case: Linux...
  13. G

Do any AsRockRack motherboard support v1.35 DDR4 voltages?

Browsing thru their website for an AM4 motherboard for my next NAS build for home. I need it to support unbuffered DDR4 and v1.35 voltages - looks like I am out of luck? https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=B550D4U-2T#Specifications...
  14. G

ASRock X470D4U - No XMP settings, maxes out at 3000Hz memory clock?

My new build is based on ASRock X470D4U and 64GB DDR4 3600Hz memory, it looks like BIOS overclock settings don't show speeds above 3000Mhz - anyone have any idea how I can get 3600Hz out of this board? My memory supports 3600Hz = G.Skill RipJaws V Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4 3600...
  15. G

August 2021: which models of TinyMiniMicro should I be looking out for deals?

I am looking to complement my homelab with one or two TinyMiniMicro devices. Although the articles in STH are detailed some of them may be a year or two old, my question is - for August 2021 which models are the most recommended for a TinyMiniMicro setup? The lenovo P330 with its extra PCI-e...
  16. G

U-NAS 810A does it come with SATA PWDIS 3.3v support?

I'm considering purchasing the 810A to replace my Lenovo TS440 8x3.5" chassis that's 8 years old now. One of the biggest PITA of my Lenovo is that its SATA backplane is based on an old standard that does not support 3.3V PIN required by most newer hard drives. Sure you can patch the 3.3V pin...
  17. G

Time to upgrade my 5 year old build? Using Xeon E5 2650L v3 (12c/24t) 1.8

Lurker here, about 5 years ago I jumped on the 'intel confidential' bandwagon and build a Xeon E5 2660L v3 server. This continues to be my primary homelab/all-in-one box running Promox and a few VMs but it seems like my setup may have started to show its age and I am thinking of possibly...
  18. G

CPU heatsink recommendation for E5 v4 on X10SRL-F?

I am looking for a heatsink recommendation for a Xeon E5 v4 on a supermicro X10SRL-F motherboard. Preferably not a T4 cooler (6 inches in height is too tall) and I was thinking of getting this Intel official heatsink but the review said it does not match? not for LGA 2011-3 "does not fit the...
  19. G

Xeon E5 ES friendly server motherboard with IP KVM?

Hi there, I've reached the bottleneck of my Lenovo TS440 machine and I am looking at upgrading to the E5 2600 v4 (or v3) LGA2011-3 series CPUs, it looks like there are a few "engineering samples" out there going for cheaper than retail. I was wondering is there a list somewhere listing the...
  20. G

Using a Lenovo TS440 chassis and PSU for a supermicro board?

I own a Lenovo Thinkserver TS440 with the E3-1225v3 platform but I have outgrown the 32GB maximum memory limit. I have started looking at options and I was wondering if anyone has re-used the power supply and TS440 chassis by installing a different motherboard (say Supermicro)? Does anyone...