Search results

1. G

iGPU hw transcoding for xeon e3 v6 w/ supermicro IPMI board?

Hi all, I have a Supermicro X11SSi-LN4F motherboard that's running great as a FreeNAS server, including plex and zoneminder in jails. I'm considering a CPU upgrade from Skylake e3 to a Kaby Lake e3-1245 version to get HW decoding and transcoding for Zoneminder and Plex. I've found a couple of...
  2. G

RAMbleed - which DDR4 has TRR enabled?

With the new RAMbleed attack making some news, I'd like to understand my vulnerability level. The news reports say that we should use DDR4 with TRR enabled, but I'm unable to find a way to check if my server RAM (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CPB) has it. No info available in dmidecode and the specs...
  3. G

supermicro X11 ipmi ssl and java kvm annoyances

Hi all, The Supermicro IPMI is a constant source of both conveniences and inconveniences. Here are 2 problems that I've encountered lately, including workarounds. If you've got a better fix, please share. The board in question is an X11 ssi-ln4f, with BMC firmware 1.48. 1. Java web start IKVM...
  4. G

mellanox mcx311a's <$35

Not a flaming great deal, but the ConnectX-3's are starting to drop near the prices for the ConnectX-2's. The seller has multiple, and took a BO of 2 at $30 each. I like the lower power consumption of these. Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT 10 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe Adapter Card ConnectX-3 CX311A | eBay...
  5. G

cooling double-sided m.2

I just got some samsung pm953 m.2 drives for my server, and they seem to get hot and throttle under load. Any advice on the best ways to cool a double-sided m.2? This was the only product that seems to go after double-sided m.2's. Amazon.com: SilverStone Technology M.2 SSD Thermal Pad...
  6. G

ebay Mellanox Connectx-3 CX353A lot of 3

My Mellanox ebay search popped this up. It's a lot of 3 connectx-3 CX353A's, bidding at $26 + $14 shipping. Lot of 3 Mellanox ConnectX-3 10Gigabit Ethernet Card PCI-e x8 MCX353A CX353A | eBay
  7. G

WTB: Mellanox 312A FH bracket or group buy MLX brackets

Does anyone have a full-height bracket for a Mellanox 312A that they're willing to part with? Otherwise, is anyone interested in a group purchase of brackets from the Mellanox store? They seem to have most brackets in stock, but I cannot stand paying $15 shipping for a $4 item. I'd be open to...
  8. G

weird redirect for forums url using http

Hi Patrick et al., I'm really hoping this isn't a PICNIC (problem in chair not in computer). This is all on a win10 machine using latest Chrome 59 x64. Sometimes I go directly to the forums website. If I type the url: ServeTheHome and ServeThe.Biz Forums, everything works beautifully. If I...
  9. G

(humor/eye candy) Supermicro NVME billboard

So, I'm riding into work and see this billboard. Seriously, Supermicro took out a billboard north of downtown Seattle pushing dense NVME servers. I thought this audience might enjoy. @AJXCR, these products look like your kind of thing.
  10. G

ebay dell mellanox dual 10gbe

Hi all, I'm considering pulling the trigger on this one. Dell / Mellanox CX322 ConnectX-3 dual 10gbe card with SFP+ ports for $50 + $14 US shipping. It's not listed on any of Mellanox's sites, but is listed on a few server vendors. Also, the guy has no seller feedback, so beware. Has anyone...
  11. G

switch torture test

I managed to get an ebay deal on a Netgear S3300-28X (knock on wood - arrives Tuesday). Before pressing it into service, I would like to give it a torture test to make sure it's fully functional. Any advice on exercising a switch to the max? Right now, my plan is it hook up 2 servers on SFP+...
  12. G

HGST 100gb sas ssd

I bought a couple of these - 100gb for $80 each: Hitachi HGST Ultrastar 100GB 2.5" SAS 6Gbps SLC NAND Solid State Drive HUSSL4010 I just received them today - they're HUSSL4010ASS600 SMART data on them shows a surprisingly low write load: 525GB on one and 7500GB on the other. The endurance...
  13. G

(Sold) ebay - Netgear GSM7328S v2h1 $190 shipped

In my searches for a Netgear S3300-28X, I found this listing. Looks like a managed 24-port + 2x 10gbit SFP switch. 2 expansion ports in the back can do another 2x 10gbe. Anyone have experience with this one? Someone else should buy this before I convince myself that I need it for my main home...
  14. G

ebay MCX311A-XCAT Connectx-3 sfp+ single port

Not sure this qualifies as a great deal, but it's something lower than what I've seen for the last couple weeks. Mellanox MCX311A-XCAT 10 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe Adapter Card ConnectX-3 CX311A | eBay The guy has 8x 1-port Mellanox Connectx-3 SFP+ cards. I BO'ed him at $60 and got a reply around...
  15. G

ebay - intel 750 ssd 400gb $225

Intel 750 Series NVMe 400GB SSD PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive | eBay Not sure if this is a great deal, but the guy has 2x 400gb 750's for $225. Wear level is unclear - I asked, but so far, no response. The daily wear rating on these (72 GB) is probably a little low for use as a...
  16. G

ebay Lenovo Mellanox Connectx-3

Lenovo 00W0053 MLNX ConnectX-3 EN 2PT SFP+ 10GbE Adapter Server ZZ | eBay Lenovo version of Mellanox Connectx-3 with 2x 10gbe sfp+ They counter-offered at $80 each for 2, though I'm also getting a dac from them. This seems like one of the better prices I've seen lately for this one. Granted...