Search results

1. B

Trouble forcing 4k / ashift=12, need help with SD.conf

I just can't seem to get it to force 4k even though the majority of the drives are 4k drives (only 2 of the 10 are not 4k!!). Its running in a ESX VM with passthrough so one of my options I think is using ZFS guru to make the pool, I was just hoping to get it all working through...
  2. B

11 disk RAIDz2 hurt performance? should it be 10 or 12 instead?

I saw some mention of N+P and block/stripe sizes in regards to ZFS while searching for other info. Right now my plan was to use all 11 2TB drives I have in a large RAIDz2 pool and keep a 3TB drive I have as a hot spare or just as a spare if needed. If I'm going to seriously gimp the system...
  3. B

help with LSI 3801e (1068e) only seeing 1st drive on each port!?

I have two LSI 3801e 8 external port (2 8088) PCIe cards in my new ESX machine I'm building. I am running the 8088 cables into a homemade DAS out of a 4u case. Right now I am only seeing whatever drive ends up on the first sata cable that breaks out of the 8087 4-lane SAS cable. Does...
  4. B

ZFS stripped mirror set degraded. Disk really bad? how to check?

Here is what its reporting. And btw, I discovered this thanks to a neat little app on my android phone called "ZFS Monitor". Its awesome! NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM raptor10k-RAID10 DEGRADED 0 0 0 mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0 c7t14d0...
  5. B

Take a look and help me verify my open indiana ZFS is ready for "production"?

I just finished setting up my open indiana VM inside ESXi 4.1U3 (i'll explain that) and wanted some of the ZFS guys to look at the zfs output (i'll post whatever) and make sure that I'm not missing anything obvious or doing anything stupid before I go moving data to it and making it "live"...
  6. B

please help, ZFS or hardware raid10.. Thought I wanted ZFS but not so sure now :(

So I've been messing with an all-in-1 setup ESXi box with Nexenta and to a smaller extent, openindiana. My plan was a RAID10 style setup with ZFS for the reliability and robustness, the problem I've run into is the complexity is quite high. Anyway, my primary, number one objective is...
  7. B

FS: 8 300GB 10,000RPM, 2.5" "raptor" SATA HDDs, 45$/each+ship

I can post some photos soon hopefully. They were bought new a few months ago and have only had a few hundred hours of idle time on them. Still under the 1yr warranty. These are "white-label" models, meaning they are WD raptors sold in very large lots to another vendor with that vendors label...
  8. B

help locating module for D-LINK DXS-3227 24 port GB switch

Specifically I'm looking for the DEM-411x uplink/10gbe adapter (the switch has room for 2). D-Link | DEM-411X 1 Port 10GBASE-X XFP Fiber Module I bought the switch because their inexpensive and seemed like a decent option (24 ports of 1GbE and 1 easy 10GbE port and the possibility of 2 more...
  9. B

HP SAS expander and Nexenta/open indiana safe?

I've seen some comments on hardforum about issues using an expander with nexenta / OI can cause issues. Does anyone on here use a similar combination and have any issues with it? As a side note, is the community version of nexenta's 18TB limit a limit on total usable space (so if you built...
  10. B

Point to point wireless setup questions..

Right now I can't easily run a cable from the entertainment center to the network gear. So my current setup for that equipment (HTPC, PS3, Onkyo Reciever) is all piped through a 2.4ghz 802.11n 4 port "game" adapter. I did that because 1 radio talking to the AP is better then 3-4 radios talking...
  11. B

Need to swap/buy low profile dual port intel NIC bracket for full height bracket

I have two intel dual port GbE (RJ45 ports) PCI-E network adapters with low profile brackets and need to swap them for full height brackets or find a adapter of some sort. Does anyone have any extra fullsize brackets they might want to sell or trade? I'd also consider trading the complete...
  12. B

help with heatsinks for supermicro X8DTE-F dual CPU board

I picked up a X8DTE-F and two L5520 Xeon CPUs and am trying to figure out what CPU Fan/Heatsink combo I should get for them. Apparently not all 1366 compatible setups work since the Xeon boards use plates that you screw the HS mount into. For completions sake my case is a RSV-L4000 rosewill 4U...