Point to point wireless setup questions..

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bp_968

Dec 23, 2012
Right now I can't easily run a cable from the entertainment center to the network gear. So my current setup for that equipment (HTPC, PS3, Onkyo Reciever) is all piped through a 2.4ghz 802.11n 4 port "game" adapter. I did that because 1 radio talking to the AP is better then 3-4 radios talking to it. I've also setup the AP it connects to on its own channel, separate from my "main" AP everything else connects to. So the entertainment center has its own dedicated AP and dedicated 2.4ghz channel with the other APs on the opposite side of the spectrum.

I'm hoping this will cure any and all skipping problems with HD content streamed from the internet or other PCs in the house (wired PCs).

Anyway, my question is: Has anyone used directional antenna in the house and through walls? I was thinking if its necessary, or would help, I might in the future grab a couple of the 30 degree directional antenna (like 14-18dB gain I believe) and point one from the "game" adapter and one from the AP directly at each other. Probably massive overkill but sounded like a fun idea. :)

bp

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
You may want to do a spectrum analysis before trying your luck with directional antennas. If there is a lot of noise from other APs in overlapping channels or another source no antenna is going to fix that. On the other hand there are APs with automatic 'directional' antennas, sort of an omni AP with multiple antennas or antenna-combinations for every some-odd °.

bp_968

Dec 23, 2012
You may want to do a spectrum analysis before trying your luck with directional antennas. If there is a lot of noise from other APs in overlapping channels or another source no antenna is going to fix that. On the other hand there are APs with automatic 'directional' antennas, sort of an omni AP with multiple antennas or antenna-combinations for every some-odd °.
I've already done this, its how I knew which channel to put the AP on so it wouldn't be overlapping or directly on another APs channel. I was also under the impression that directional antenna actually receive far less radio interference because it is transmitting and receiving in a much smaller "cone" between the two antenna. Shouldn't it buck interference *better* then the standard omni setups because its only listening to a tiny cone of traffic? I also thought that your going to get a much stronger signal because both the client and the AP are funneling all their radios transmit power to a small point rather then simply spraying it all around the AP.

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
Oh they work great for that, but keep in mind that indoors you also rely on all signals bouncing around which may give a better result. It's worth a shot.