help with heatsinks for supermicro X8DTE-F dual CPU board

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bp_968

Dec 23, 2012
I picked up a X8DTE-F and two L5520 Xeon CPUs and am trying to figure out what CPU Fan/Heatsink combo I should get for them. Apparently not all 1366 compatible setups work since the Xeon boards use plates that you screw the HS mount into. For completions sake my case is a RSV-L4000 rosewill 4U rackmount case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147155

This is the cooler I am considering: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233081

Worst case I could steal two H60s from my gaming box and my wifes gaming machine and drop some Hyper 212+ models in there (since mine isn't OCed and hers is only OCed to 4.3-4.5 which the i5-3570k seems to have no trouble with, regardless the cooler). Still I'd prefer to leave the water coolers in the game boxes if at all possible.

Quieter is nice but not hugely important. The rack is in a spare room in the basement. To provide some sense of what is annoying and what isn't my Dell 1400T LTO3 tape backup 2u unit is annoying when its on unless I close the door and then its just noticeable, not terrible. Basically 1u servers are annoying enough I'm not sure I could use one even in my deep basement rack. Thus the 4u units ;)

Thanks!

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
i7-970/980/980X/990X coolers or SNK-P0040AP4.

PM if you are interested in the SNK-P0040AP4, I have 2 sitting on my shelf.

bp_968

Dec 23, 2012
I ended up going another direction, cactus still has the coolers if someone else is interested.

bp_968

Dec 23, 2012
What did you end up using?
A mess. I contacted Xigmatek about their Loki SD963 and they said they would work fine, but they don't. The fitting system the coolers use doesn't work on a Xeon board that already has a metal backing plate like my supermicro does.

Moral of the story is just buy the cooler with the sumpermicro name on it and be done with it ;(

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
If the bolts for the Xigmatek coolers are the same thread as the Xeon backing plate, them as screws with the flattened end up by the cooler. Bad explanation, if I have time tomorrow, Ill take mine xigmatek apart and give you a picture of what I mean.

bp_968

Dec 23, 2012
If the bolts for the Xigmatek coolers are the same thread as the Xeon backing plate, them as screws with the flattened end up by the cooler. Bad explanation, if I have time tomorrow, Ill take mine xigmatek apart and give you a picture of what I mean.
No need to take anything apart, I already checked. Sadly the thread pitch is wrong and the bolt won't go any further then 3/4th of the way into the pre-mounted screw spots. I could/should have tried to locate the right size/pitch screw but then I saw a set of the supermicro coolers for pretty cheap so just grabbed them because of impatience. Unfortunately I probably won't get them until monday so by trying to be picky and then being impatient has tacked another week of waiting on parts for the build. I honestly *really* wish I had just snagged your two coolers.

My primary reason for the Xigmatek coolers was because they were tall yet fit the case and I was hoping i could keep the CPUs cool with just the airflow from the fan wall that would have been inline with the heatsinks. Not sure it would have worked but I was going to at least try :)

I appreciate your help Cactus. Now its time to go back to figuring out how im going to handle the software side of the build L(