FS/FT/WTB/WTT sfbayzfs Pt 1: Systems, backplanes, controllers, expanders, mobos, procs, RAM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
Well that all sounds reasonable. I did grab an account with shipito, and it seems cheapest from Nevada (615 for the pair as a single shipment). I'm guessing the shipito pricing is in USD.

GST is charged for items or sets of items over AUD1000 (10%) so keeping packages (well) under $1000 is the way to go. This means that shipping separately (which costs USD28) is cheaper than paying the tax on a single shipment.

I'll ask SWMBO for permission to spend and switch convo to a PM, no need to clutter the thread :D

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
Bump for some price drops, sold items removed, split SAS3 controllers from SAS2 controllers - I have a lot of SAS3 stuff which I am probably going to sell off since SAS2 works fine for me, and I have plenty of that. SAS3 expanders will be added to the list soon (I have 2 different Intel types and an HP expander) and more SAS3 controllers.

cperalt1

Feb 23, 2015
What is the noise level on the rackables jbod like? Living room candidate or garage unit. Thanks

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
What is the noise level on the rackables jbod like? Living room candidate or garage unit. Thanks
My Rackable/SGI SE3016 JBOD units have the stock fans, so garage level noise right now, but you can replace the noisy 80mm fans with quieter ones (Noctua, panaflo, etc.) easily, and some people mod them for 120mm fans or replace the power supplies as well., but you need PSU gender changer cables to do that.

I really like the build quality and compactness of the SE3016, and they would be fantastic for a 2-post rack setup, but the rack I ended up with is 4-post, and once I started getting Supermicro chassis' I wanted all of the trays to be compatible. My first Supermicro 36-bay SC847 was destroyed in shipping due to inept packaging, and it took me over a year to find another, and I bought the rackables units as a contingency plan in the meantime. My hardware journey has had lots of twists and turns, hence all of the extra goodies for sale:)

At one point I even got some Supermicro quad SFF-8087 to SFF-8088 adapters with the intent to bypass the expander on these SE3016 units, but I never got around to putting them in.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
At one point I even got some Supermicro quad SFF-8087 to SFF-8088 adapters with the intent to bypass the expander on these SE3016 units, but I never got around to putting them in.
Not a bad idea for mine.

Chris

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
are the 836 still available? I don't quite understand the difference between the 2
Yes, I have 3 SC836 configurations available, these are the differences:
1 - $200 TQ direct backplane with 4x SFF-8087 to SATA/sideband cables included and wired up
2 - $300 TQ direct backplane with 4x SFF-8643 to SATA/sideband cables included and wired up (the cables were $21 each + tax/shipping)
3 - $300 SAS2 EL1 expander backplane with 2 SFF-8087 cables (2 of this config available)

I hope to have time in the next few days to see if the alternate power distribution boards work in one - I have 2 of them, and they would convert any of these to work with unmodified 1280W SQ quiet power supplies - if it all works OK, I can offer any of the above with the better power board and a pair of PWS-1K28P-SQ power supplies for $120 more.

I believe I have 3 good original or original grade shipping boxes for these (with sturdy custom cut closed cell foam inserts), I might have a fourth.

Moksh Mridul

Apr 1, 2016
Hi,
Would you have a Supermicro X10SLH-F-O? and if so, would you be willing to ship to India?

Would be very interested in one, to run FreeNAS.

Thanks and regards
M

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
Bump for sold items removed and I will be at the meetup, so PM me if you want me to bring something with me.

I will PM you later today about shipping rates and carriers to India.

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
In my experience with the SC216, 836, 836, and 847, there are 3 classes of PSU:
  • Old pre-80+ supplies, eg PWS-801-1r have a constant high pitched scream even with chassis power off, and draw 20W plus when off (probably due to the 40mm fans running at full all the time) very loud, to me they seem louder than case fans slowed with PWM
  • 80+ gold and platinum supplies, EG PWS-1K41P-1R or PWS-920P-1R vary a bit in noise level from model to model, but are all noticeably quieter than the older supplies, fairly quiet when chassis power is off, but definitely noticeable over case fans slowed with PWM, mostly due to different higher pitch.
  • SQ supplies - PWS-1K28P-SQ and PWS-920P-SQ (I have never seen the 1600W SQ supply) lower pitched and quieter noise than *P-1R 80+ supplies, hidden under slow PWM case fan noise to me. The 920W is generally a little quieter than the 1280W for the picky.
I may have to end up keeping it after all though - I thought I had a pair of them arriving in good shape today so I would have an extra beyond my spare, but UPS did a number on one of the pair, shearing off the handles and bending the back, locking in 3 bays under the PSUs :( The beat up one is still probably usable if you add a power switch and replace the broken PSU for safety, I'll post separately about it with pics.

Reactions: gigatexal

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
The 45-bay is gone, but the 16-bay half depth Rackables/SGI SE3016 units are still available, and I can check on shipping weight for a single after I get home tonight, I suspect it would be something in the $30-40 range via Fedex Ground.

I have 3 Rackables/SGI SE3016 with metal trays, 3 with plastic trays, and a few extra plastic trays to whoever takes the most of them :) I also got some Supermicro quad internal to external SFF-8087 -> SFF-8088 cable/bracket combos like are used in the 3U and 4U Supermicro JBOD units for about $50 each, intending to convert the Rackables units to direct instead of SAS 1 expander, but never got around to it - I think I have enough of those for all 6 units if someone is interested in that project :) They are really nice units, and reportedly don't have the SAS1 expander backplane issues that 24-bay backplanes have, but I haven't had a lot of time to play with them, and once I started going Supermicro, I didn't want to have to keep changing tray types for my drives.

Manav Agarwal

Mar 31, 2016
Do you still have the 4u supermicro chassis (you mentioned one in another thread not sure if that is the same one here).