FS/FT/WTB/WTT sfbayzfs Pt 1: Systems, backplanes, controllers, expanders, mobos, procs, RAM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TomGlasd

Nov 22, 2015
Interested in these

• $0 Xeon E5502 1.87 GHz 80W 2C/2T CPU free with motherboard purchase!
  • $10 Xeon E5620 2.4GHz 65W 4C/8T CPU
  • $15 Xeon L5630 2.13GHz Low power 40W 4C/8T CPU
  • $1.5 3.5" Supermicro old style trays (ridged red release button) with 4 screws
How many have you got?

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
Holiday delay, but I just PM'ed everyone who has been waiting on me, and updated my posting:
  • New items added - 3U and 4U SAS2 expander and SAS3 direct chassis', X8DTH-iF, x9SCM, etc.
  • Sold items removed
  • Moved chassis sections up near servers for easier comparison
  • I will add NICs etc. soon!

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
Adding rep for sfbayzfs ...

Received an SC216 + some extra goodies. sfbayzfs was very helpful in making sure the backplane would fit my use case - he also suggested right angle SFF-8087 connectors which I would not have thought of. We ended up with what I felt was a very good deal on the chassis + mobo + drives.

Thanks!

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
Also giving a rep for sfbayzfs. Picked up a X10SLH-F, RAM and a heatsink. Everything arrived quickly and works great.

SomeoneElse

Dec 24, 2015
Just wanted to say thanks to sfbayzfs for all the parts and great packing job :)

The motherboard, CPU, heatsinks, and RAM were ready to go out of the box. I just installed them into a case, connected the power, and it started right up. The motherboard bios and IPMI firmware were also already flashed to the latest versions.

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
Thanks! I just added the first of my NICs, as well as LSI RAID cards and a general refresh, more NICs, RAM, and other items coming later today, and another ready to go zfs server or 2.

craneopbru

Oct 12, 2015
Add me to the list of satisfied customers. Just wanted to say Thanks for getting the motherboard/cpu/ram shipped out during the holidays.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
My parts arrived, hope to test/install them tomorrow :)

Thank You!

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
I have girded my loins in anticipation of the response, but if you'd be willing to ship the two SC847's internationally (AU) ... how many tons of gold would it cost? You can convert to USD if it's easier...

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
Do those LSI 9261-8i RAID cards have the battery backups?
I don't have any BBUs, just the cards (with card brackets) I do also have an Areca SAS2 24i4e card (I forget the exact model) with a battery, but it is missing the cable that goes between the battery and the card, and more importantly, 2 large, presumably filter caps got knocked off of it as it was being removed from service (it was working fine before). If you are interested in a minor soldering project, PM me!

I have girded my loins in anticipation of the response, but if you'd be willing to ship the two SC847's internationally (AU) ... how many tons of gold would it cost? You can convert to USD if it's easier...
I am happy to ship internationally! That said, it can be tricky and take a bit of research and time. For quotes, figure a 4U server like these weighs 65-75 lbs when packed for shipment, and measures roughly 36x24x14" give or take a little. I have had the best luck with Fedex ground within the US, and last time I checked, the USPS had a 70 lb limit for domestic shipments, but it might be lower internationally. I think UPS also has the same 70 lb limit, and I haven't used other services, but am willing to give them a try. Canada for an example of shipping silliness seems to want tons of copies of customs forms and commercial invoices with detailed descriptions and weights and such, only to not charge any duty anyway since these are computer parts, on which they charge no importation duty (at least not from the US). Has anyone else shipped any 4U servers internationally, and if so, what service did you use and how did it go?

I actually have 2-4 SC847 chassis' total available (I have 2 local friends who may take 1 each, or not, I should know within a week or 2). Currently one has SAS2 backplanes, but I was in the process of replacing the SAS1 backplanes in the rest with SAS2 backplanes in the rest - it's more expensive that way, but then they just work great with any kind of SAS controller, RAID or HBA. For an IT mode LSI SAS2 HBA (like one would use for ZFS), the old SAS1 backplanes seem to be fine, but I have heard tales of more than 20 drives >2TB in the front 24-bay backplane only causing detection issues with some models of drive, but never any specifics.

Speaking of backplanes, if anyone is interested in up to 5 each BPN-SAS846-7EL1 and or BPN-SAS826-7EL1 backplanes for really cheap (like $20 + shipping per backplane or so, less if you take them all), ping me! (See how many drives you can wipe at once with daisy-chained backplanes! I only have enough for 180 drives though ;)

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
Fedex seems to want about $1350 to ship those two packages from Beverley Hills (hey, everyone knows 90210 is a US post code, right?) to me. That's .... horrific! A sea shipment would surely have to be cheaper (Fedex for $1350 is basically 3 day air, so ... lots of room for improvement).

Edit: Before I do too much digging ... do the SC847's have the rails, and are they the version with the 2x 2.5 bays at the rear as well as the 36x 3.5?

Last edited:

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
I have shipped 846 from US to Aus ( brisbane), suggest you use shipito.com where you will only need a half amount of gold.. these guys ship a lot, so they get better rates than a member of the public..Done more than 20 shipments, all fabulous result... and fast...

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
Fedex seems to want about $1350 to ship those two packages from Beverley Hills (hey, everyone knows 90210 is a US post code, right?) to me. That's .... horrific! A sea shipment would surely have to be cheaper (Fedex for $1350 is basically 3 day air, so ... lots of room for improvement).

Edit: Before I do too much digging ... do the SC847's have the rails, and are they the version with the 2x 2.5 bays at the rear as well as the 36x 3.5?
I do have a Fedex account, which knocks off 1/3 or so of the shipping cost usually. I just ran a Fedex quote for a 36x24x14" package weighing 70 lbs sent to Sydney on an account and insured for $500 and got "only" US$856 via 1 week economy - still a lot of gold! (and delivery Monday was $1333 for evening delivery of 1380ish for morning delivery - ridiculous!) I know the USPS unfortunately discontinued surface mail international a few years ago - many years ago I sent someone in Norway a 15 pound package via surface mail for only about $25. Postal rates have more than doubled since then, but proportionally it was only 1/3 the cost of airmail at the time.

I ran a USPS quote and had to shrink the dimensions a little to get it ti a mailable size (but I should have some slightly smaller boxes) and it came up at "only" US$570 Do you know if there is any importation tarriff for computers coming from the US to Australia?

I do have rails for them, but they don't have 2.5" hot swaps on the back - there's no room for 2x 2.5" hot swaps on the back due to the 12 extra hotswap 3.5" on the back underneath the motherboard tray, but the SC846 and SC836 I think do have those options, since they have more room on the back. I do have 2, maybe 3 internal mounting plates for either 2x 2.5" or 1x 3.5" below the motherboard tray, behind the extra 12 hotswaps..

I have shipped 846 from US to Aus ( brisbane), suggest you use shipito.com where you will only need a half amount of gold.. these guys ship a lot, so they get better rates than a member of the public..Done more than 20 shipments, all fabulous result... and fast...
Cool, how much did that cost per 846 roughly? I looked, and it seems to be very buyer oriented, there was no info I could find on how to ship via them as a sender, which would mean $40-60 for me to ship it to them plus whatever international rates.

Has anyone used DHL or Ontrac or any of those other carriers, and do they offer surface shipping? The DHL public website is very corporate oriented other than the tracking info, I saw no way to get a quote or ship anything, just how to set up a business partnership to do to on a bulk scale.

izx

Jan 17, 2016
Do you know if there is any importation tarriff for computers coming from the US to Australia?
Last I checked (for an i7-920 CPU in 2011), the duty-free importation limit was $1000 (not sure if AUD or USD -- if AUD ~= $700 USD).

Cool, how much did that cost per 846 roughly? I looked, and it seems to be very buyer oriented, there was no info I could find on how to ship via them as a sender, which would mean $40-60 for me to ship it to them plus whatever international rates.
The buyer sets up the shipito account and deals with whatever their charges are. You simply ship the package to Hawthorne, CA (cheapest location for shipping to AU) or Minden, NV (little more expensive). Here are the rates (buyer would pay to ShipitTo) for AU:

Has anyone used DHL or Ontrac or any of those other carriers, and do they offer surface shipping? The DHL public website is very corporate oriented other than the tracking info, I saw no way to get a quote or ship anything, just how to set up a business partnership to do to on a bulk scale.
DHL doesn't do individual accounts in the US since 2009. Ontrac delivers only to CA, AZ, NV. UPS International isn't likely to vary much from Fedex and it's harder to maintain an occasional individual account with them IMO.

If buyer agrees to work with ShipitTo, that seems to be the best option.

Reactions: cheezehead

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
The numbers below are right, my experience using shipito is they have great pricing with TNT and DHL to Australia, the other freight companies are not competitive. Even with the local US freight cost it still is the best option in most circumstances. The max value of a shipment can be approx 700 USD, but you can combine shipments and this is cost effective in many instances. Have had 100% success with them, I will usually pay the small premium to use DH: with shipito, as they offer a better customer support etc, and make it easy for me to pick up from their depot if I want , DHL also direct LA to Bne, once it lands can pick it up in 30 minutes as the items are cleared to customs during the flight.. TNT is cheaper but goes via sydney and takes longer. Depends where you are. I generally have stuff 2 days after it ships from Shipito in LA.. Ship on friday get it monday. SHip Mon, get it wednesday..