Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CharlieBreeze3

Feb 27, 2022
Consolidated list of GPU cards that are known to work ?

Having read all all the comments (starting weeks ago) and not making a note of graphic cards that work I was hoping if anyone of you can direct me to where they have shown up or just a list of the cards.

What is the theoretical power limit of the PCIe slot (I saw STH article that when a GPU card is installed the CPU power is reduced). I was wondering about the use of an RTX A2000 with the aftermarket heat sink…

If I remember someone listed a power supply larger than 180W, anyone using a larger one?

For those interested in delivery of MS-01s I placed my order back on January 20th and canceled it last week, I received a new one from Amazon from their second delivery – I got it in five days from the time I placed the order. So, I now have an MS-01. I received one from the first shipment that Amazon had and the first boot for that unit never happened – I know about waiting for the first boot but mine just never happened. My second one did not take very long and seems to be working well with 96GB of RAM (Crucial).

I have reestablished an order again with MinisForum for the second time. At least while I wait, I will have one to work with.

I would appreciate it if someone could provide me with a list of working graphic cards. Thanks.

dalalaboi

Apr 6, 2024
Hi All,
Is anyone experiencing the m.2 slots (not the one with u.2) are dropping the NVME drives randomly? I have two Samsung PM983 4TB drives in that slot and they are dropping randomly and no longer show up in the bios either. I was planning to run a chkdsk, but its not even visible. Thanks

Dave

GreenAvacado

Sep 25, 2022
Hi All,
Is anyone experiencing the m.2 slots (not the one with u.2) are dropping the NVME drives randomly? I have two Samsung PM983 4TB drives in that slot and they are dropping randomly and no longer show up in the bios either. I was planning to run a chkdsk, but its not even visible. Thanks

Dave
I have not seen anything like that happen. Sounds like faulty NVME? Are both NVMEs disappearing or just one that is in supposedly faulty M.2 slot? What if you swap the drive location?

cloudhax

Feb 29, 2024
Hi All,

Dave
anything in the pci-e slot? I haven't had nvme drives drop out but had an issue with half the ram going missing until I tape the smbus pins on the pcie nvme adapter I was using

doremo

Apr 15, 2024
I am searching for a solution to install a WWAN module in place of the WiFi adapter in my device. Currently, the PCIe slot is occupied by a 2.5G network card. I prefer not to use a USB 4G/5G adapter due to security concerns. Is there any converter or module available that can replace the WiFi adapter and fit into the MS-01 slot? I plan to use 4G/5G as a secondary internet service, and WiFi is not essential for my machine when it functions as a server.

dalalaboi

Apr 6, 2024
Thanks @GreenAvacado and @cloudhax I need to do some additional investigations. I was playing around with it a bit more yesterday and one of the drives was working as expected yesterday. The other, i'll probably need to pull it out and run some tests on it. Will test out a different drive in the slot when i get home from work (if its not too late). The PCI-e slot has no issues, has another NVME drive there, works fine.

Thanks for your ideas!

Rile

Feb 25, 2024
Mine arrived finally on last satturday, but it doesn't POST :/

I'm using two brand new Crucial 48GB modules. Those should work, right?
I already tried swapping the slots/using one module only, but nothing helped :(

The only thing I'm missing is a M.2 SSD, since it will arrive tomorrow. But I don't think, that I need a SSD installed for the unit to POST.
Does anybody have any ideas? After 2+ months of waiting, I just hope my unit is not faulty :(

image0(2).jpeg

Finlike3355

Mar 5, 2024
I am searching for a solution to install a WWAN module in place of the WiFi adapter in my device. Currently, the PCIe slot is occupied by a 2.5G network card. I prefer not to use a USB 4G/5G adapter due to security concerns. Is there any converter or module available that can replace the WiFi adapter and fit into the MS-01 slot? I plan to use 4G/5G as a secondary internet service, and WiFi is not essential for my machine when it functions as a server.
Like this?

Note that I couldn't actually find anything for the A/E key needed for the WiFi card, this is for the standard B Key.

mman3222

Apr 15, 2024
Amazon Availability:

I cancelled my order last week with Minisforum after being told my order would ship end of May now. I'm glad I cancelled. They are loading up with Amazon Prime availability all day today! I first ordered an MS-01 this morning that would be available to me next week. Then, more became available where I could order and have a unit by this Friday. I just checked again, and now I can have a unit delivered by Wednesday! It was a game of cancelling and re-ordering today :)

ProxMox and PfSense/OPNsense:

I hope this MS-01 works better than my MOGINSOK device. What I'm trying to do is install ProxMox and then PfSense in a VM as my router. I have an SFP+ stick from my ISP that I want to plug directly into the MS-01. However, when I tried installing ProxMox/PfSense on my MOGINSOK device, my PfSense VM went to 100% CPU when performing speed tests.

Has anyone successfully installed ProxMox and then PfSense on their MS-01 and achieve normal CPU utilization when doing a speed test? I have 2Gig fiber Internet.

MaedaBox

Mar 22, 2024
Finally arrived, but how do I open it? When I pressed the button and pulled, nothing happens. It seems to be stuck.

jdpdata

Jan 31, 2024
Amazon Availability:

I cancelled my order last week with Minisforum after being told my order would ship end of May now. I'm glad I cancelled. They are loading up with Amazon Prime availability all day today! I first ordered an MS-01 this morning that would be available to me next week. Then, more became available where I could order and have a unit by this Friday. I just checked again, and now I can have a unit delivered by Wednesday! It was a game of cancelling and re-ordering today :)
Amazon 13900H kit is more expensive on Amazon $864 vs $829 thru Minisforum at least here in USA. 12900H which I want is still back-ordered on Amazon 1-2 months shipping delay. Same as Minisforum. You got me excited for nothing. I'll just wait I guess.

nirbo

Mar 4, 2024
Mine arrived finally on last satturday, but it doesn't POST :/

I'm using two brand new Crucial 48GB modules. Those should work, right?
I already tried swapping the slots/using one module only, but nothing helped :(

The only thing I'm missing is a M.2 SSD, since it will arrive tomorrow. But I don't think, that I need a SSD installed for the unit to POST.
Does anybody have any ideas? After 2+ months of waiting, I just hope my unit is not faulty :(

View attachment 36098
I thought mine wouldn't POST. I took out the RAM and SSD. Tried again, nothing.

Put both back (2TB Samsung and 96GB Mudhkin) turned it on and waited.

Took it a bit but it POSTed.

Not sure why but the first turn on seems like it takes forever.

Reactions: Rile

CharlieBreeze3

Feb 27, 2022

Attachments

Reactions: Rile

nirbo

Mar 4, 2024
This is true, it could just be it RAM enumeration. Never seen it without any feedback whatsoever though

MaedaBox

Mar 22, 2024
Finally arrived, but how do I open it? When I pressed the button and pulled, nothing happens. It seems to be stuck.
Well it was unfortunate enough, there are bends on the backbone of the machine, I suppose either DHL or MS factory did it(how?), preventing the shroud from sliding.
Screenshot 2024-04-15 222010.png PXL_20240416_015503917-min.jpg
Going to return and ask for a refund, will see how it goes.

Did manage to boot the machine, and the micron 2x48g kit works with the 12900H model.

Attachments

Rile

Feb 25, 2024
This has been enough of a problem that they had to put a card in the box!
Thanks, will try to give it some time as you suggested. Lets see if half an hour helps.
I'll try it first without the SSD, since I will get it later this evening..

Will report back what (if it) worked.