ESXi HBA SATA or NVME or Tri-Mode

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mikeyosm

Oct 13, 2021
Hi

Can someone please recommend an HBA on the vmware HCL for ESXi 8.0 that either supports SATA, NVME or both and can be viewed/managed/monitored in ESXi for health/temperature reporting purposes? I just need to boot from the HBA so doesnt have to be large number of ports. Ideally the card should be PCIe 4.0, low profile and passive cooling.

I have been looking at the Broadcom 9500-8i since it can interface with SATA or NVME but wanted something a little bit cheaper if possible?

Thank you.

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
Tri-mode is a scam, forget about it. Crap performance, outrageous prices, and tri-mode backplanes effectively require a tri-mode expander, adding even more cost.

Reactions: ano

mikeyosm

Oct 13, 2021
OK, that's a shame, I honestly thought the Broadcom card would be a good choice. Any other suggestions?

ano

Nov 7, 2022
Tri-mode is a scam, forget about it. Crap performance, outrageous prices, and tri-mode backplanes effectively require a tri-mode expander, adding even more cost.
I was about to write this, then saw it was posted. ohh realised I didnt post it, but yeah +1

apparantly 45 drives backplanes are good and fast