Overclock your AMD Epyc

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Joeblob

Jan 11, 2024
3Ghz seems low for that chip. Conidering 3.0Ghz is its turbo at stock, and looking at your score, I dont quite think its overclocked. You should reach 3.7 or even 3.8 with a 32 core or at worst 3.5Ghz at this point. earlier days the clock were lower. Windows 11 has been around for ages and Im certain everyone here is already using it. Zenstates does not require snmp toyed with. Go through the thread and compare clocks.
Any chance you can steer me to the right way to OC with the same setup? I have an H11DSI with the most recent 2.7 bios version and 2 7551 retail chips. System runs fine as is. With SMT disabled my all core freq is 2.4ghz at 100% utilization and I would love to reach over 3 as the norm without ruining my system reliability.

evolucian911

Jun 24, 2017
Yes I can. Do u have discord? Or maybe you can look at my older comments where I posted a screenshot of my settings. U can PM me your discord and when I'm home I can reach out to u if u don't get through with my settings.

Reactions: Joeblob

Joeblob

Jan 11, 2024
Yes I can. Do u have discord? Or maybe you can look at my older comments where I posted a screenshot of my settings. U can PM me your discord and when I'm home I can reach out to u if u don't get through with my settings.
Sent you a Pm with discord
However after asking I finally found the right link to the download to the modded zenstates that works for me. The last one I tried didn't wanna work with my mobo.
Currently have it at 32.5x on 1.063v. Much higher on speed and the temp climbs. I'm air cooled on 6 heat pipe 4u coolers. My first try I went too big and tried 3.4ghz on 1.25 volts and within a minute the overheat alarm was going off so I added an old 4 pin CPU cooler fan kinda perched on the tower cooler and leaned against the ram to blow air down on and across the vrm cooler at an angle.. So far so good at this clock and voltage I'm steady at 62c... If I dial it back just a touch the fans quiet down significantly. But has raised my hash rate from around 31,500 to 40,500+ as my newest average.

If I up my cooling I'm sure I can go higher but this was a BUDGET build. the whole system mobo, ram, CPUs, coolers, and m.2 SSD but not including case and power supply was $1,135 (not including state sales tax)

Last edited:

Joeblob

Jan 11, 2024
With some cooling layout changes I'm up to 3.4ghz all 32 cores per CPU, no smt, at 1.119v running stable. Mining with xmrig at 41,000h/s

Would most here recommend win 11 pro over win 10 pro?

evolucian911

Jun 24, 2017
With some cooling layout changes I'm up to 3.4ghz all 32 cores per CPU, no smt, at 1.119v running stable. Mining with xmrig at 41,000h/s

Would most here recommend win 11 pro over win 10 pro?
Ok cooling is a very important factor. IM running the revised version of the enermax tr4 II cooler. my only limitation is wattage. I managed to get my CPU at 4GHz but depending on the app or benchmark it would cut off system at the wattage limit mark on the EPYCD8-2T board and also on the HP DL325. even when i get a bench to complete my scores are lower than some other benches i have at lower clocks. So ultimately i settled for lowest possible voltage with good score and kept it there.

Joeblob

Jan 11, 2024
Ok cooling is a very important factor. IM running the revised version of the enermax tr4 II cooler. my only limitation is wattage. I managed to get my CPU at 4GHz but depending on the app or benchmark it would cut off system at the wattage limit mark on the EPYCD8-2T board and also on the HP DL325. even when i get a bench to complete my scores are lower than some other benches i have at lower clocks. So ultimately i settled for lowest possible voltage with good score and kept it there.
Not hot but I don't want to crank on it until the verge of overheating. I dialed it back to 33x and 1.113v
This is my current system temp after a few days of continuous working... I am ducting in cold air from outside to the front filtered case intake so I'm cheating a little bit but I'm air cooled. I wish there were more practical water blocks for this socket. If ever there was a time to put a much bigger rad outside this is it

Large temp difference between CPUs is due to the first one getting the much colder outside air first as they're both blowing the same direction because of the case flow direction in at front and out at back and top. Maybe I can find a couple used or leaking tr4s and pillage the waterblocks for a custom loop at some point

Attachments

Last edited:

evolucian911

Jun 24, 2017
Not hot but I don't want to crank on it until the verge of overheating. I dialed it back to 33x and 1.113v
This is my current system temp after a few days of continuous working... I am ducting in cold air from outside to the front filtered case intake so I'm cheating a little bit but I'm air cooled. I wish there were more practical water blocks for this socket. If ever there was a time to put a much bigger rad outside this is it

Large temp difference between CPUs is due to the first one getting the much colder outside air first as they're both blowing the same direction because of the case flow direction in at front and out at back and top. Maybe I can find a couple used or leaking tr4s and pillage the waterblocks for a custom loop at some point
You will find it hard to justify a custom loop when u see how well the enermax tr4 performs. Matter of fact it was the go to aio for the new Intel Xeon Ws which use much more TDP than our EPYC chips. Either that cooler or or liquid nitrogen. I got mine for 65usd. Prices dropped.

Joeblob

Jan 11, 2024
You will find it hard to justify a custom loop when u see how well the enermax tr4 performs. Matter of fact it was the go to aio for the new Intel Xeon Ws which use much more TDP than our EPYC chips. Either that cooler or or liquid nitrogen. I got mine for 65usd. Prices dropped.
I will have to check eBay. I noticed a couple on there under $60 used. I have some misc hardware like pump and res etc floating around but yeah if they're that good I can probably just get 2 of the 360mm ones and run them as is . My case has mounting for 2 360mms on the side cover already

evolucian911

Jun 24, 2017
You are free to use their rads. Because of the flaw, they were designed to be easily serviceable. But try them as is first with some good fans and you will have enough considering the TDP hard limit on these chips.

Joeblob

Jan 11, 2024
You are free to use their rads. Because of the flaw, they were designed to be easily serviceable. But try them as is first with some good fans and you will have enough considering the TDP hard limit on these chips.
I really appreciate your input
Main reason I'd love a custom loop is to add liquid vrm cooling as well. My cpus stay upper 60s while vrms are low 80. Will see what pops up when the time comes.
If I try to bump up the power higher i black screen pretty much immediately so I think I'm maxing out my 850w power supply between the 2 CPUs and the gpu even though the GPU isn't really doing anything but giving me a home page display. So I definitely don't need to go crazy for basically no gain. Maybe I can just grab a 120-240mm rad and an old pump and slap together a vrm cooling loop because there just isn't a good spot to move my vrm fan any closer because of the coolers taking up so much real estate.

Also, do you know of any program that gets an accurate power draw reading? I usually use coretemp but on this system it starts off believable.. high 200s, creeps to about 305w a socket then defaults to 999w a socket after a sec which obviously isn't right

evolucian911

Jun 24, 2017
It's a bug that was never fixed when u pass certain TDP. Can't recall what the max is but I'll try when I get home. I think it's 350w or 400. Maybe 300. Ever since i set it to 3.8 and under locked i never hit the TDP wall. I use hwinfo64 and when it passes a certain TDP I get like millions of watts usage.

Last edited:

Billyherington

Feb 4, 2024
Hello!
I've updated the ZenStates app with Rome CPUID, however I haven't figured out the P-States (or manual overclock) yet.
There is no BKDG for family 17h and setting the well-known P-State MSRs doesn't change the CPU frequency. I have no access to NDA stuff.
If I set the P-State, then read it back it shows the newly set multiplier, but the actual frequency is still the old one. Same with the Linux script.
So I'm currently scratching my head over this.

It would help if you report that at least it detects the CPU correctly.
Performance Bias options "might" work, perhaps some of the others, but not P-State :(
I'm not even sure if the MSR are shared between Matisse and Rome.
Hopefully it won't "break" your system, but apparently I have no way to test.
EPYC1 shared the CPUID with desktop parts, but now Rome has a new CPUID.

Download zip from my github releases page: irusanov/ZenStates

Changelog:
  • Added Rome support (P-States won't work, but at least it should start without complaining about unsupported CPU)
  • Added support for 32-bit OS (tested on XP SP3 x86)
  • Reduced .NET Framework version to 4.0 (lowest I can go for the current codebase)

Update 21 Aug:
I have managed to change the frequency with commands to SMU. Unfortunately there's no public document describing all commands. I've updated the readme with what I've been able to find so far mostly by trial and error method. Should be able to provide at least manual overclock soon.

irusanov/ZenStates
what does amd epyc 7551 not overclock on supermicro h11dsi rev 2.0?

Attachments

Billyherington

Feb 4, 2024

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Is it possible to overclock the "RAM" on amd epyc?
sure. you can get up to max. the CPU supports ( 2666/2933/3200 ) until you get RAM errors.
but not recommended.
ask yourself: if 2133 RAM can work @2666 without any issues for 10 years ( warranty period )
the manufacturer would sell it as 2666 and make much more profit !

Billyherington

Feb 4, 2024
sure. you can get up to max. the CPU supports ( 2666/2933/3200 ) until you get RAM errors.
but not recommended.
ask yourself: if 2133 RAM can work @2666 without any issues for 10 years ( warranty period )
the manufacturer would sell it as 2666 and make much more profit !
Is it possible to overclock "RAM" on amd epyc 7551 + supermicro h11dsi rev 2.0?