Recent content by vladimir.mijatovic

1. V

EU [SOLD] WTS: LSI SAS 9217-8i

Here is feedback - the drives and the card came well packed. So far everything is looking as advertised. Very satisfied with @Octopuss as the seller and the transaction in general.
  2. V

I will start by stating I do not REALLY need this card, nor the SAS HDD drives that I picked from @Octopuss from the other post. But we REALLY need more EU sellers here :) so let's make it a bit easier for them to stick around. I have a LSi 9270-8i, have flashed 2 Dell Perc H310 and a H710, and...
  3. V

@Octopuss , come back I am one of those who appreciates such ventures of keeping cards like this cool and quiet. Not all of us have basements, but many of us like enterprise stuff. I've spent more money on quieting rack servers than I would if I'd just pay some stuff upfront. For that reason...
  4. V

EU WTB: datacenter kind of SATA(SAS) SSDs, 1,6-1,92TB

May I ask what did you mean by this? Are these drives not good for RAID?
  5. V

EU [FS] Intel Optane SSD 900P 280GB, AIC PCIe x4

Took me a while to put the drive into my server and let it run for a couple of days. Delivery was quick, well packaged, optane disk as advertised, works 100%, payment via Revolut. Recommending @onewithforce as a great seller.
  6. V

Booting Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F from PCIE NVME

On X79, C602 chipsets I've had successfuly booted without any bootloader extra steps, just bios settings, with Intel nvme drives (750 and Optane 905, aic's), but could not with Samsung (960 Evo or 970 Evo plus). It worked on asus pe79-z8-ws and dell r620. It was 3-4y ago, maybe there are some...
  7. V

Which CPU for fast Wordpress server? (Threadripper or Epyc)

@Patrick I totally agree on this: cache is the fastest thing you can do to speed up your site. And that Optane is great. We decided to save FastNGINX full page cache files on Optane or ZFS that has Optane for L2ARC, so most of NGINX cache checks hit RAM or Optane. They are almost instant (I...
  8. V

I agree with @amalurk that in cases of serving static Wordpress pages you do not need your own server. That is why Cloudflare is willing to serve your static HTML pages real quick globally for a small amount of money. They are basically saying "You keep your sluggish, bloated, unoptimal code on...
  9. V

This is our guideline for picking up a "php" cpu https://www.klik-mall.com/web/blog/2-new-php-performance-numbers-for-a-better-estimate-of-real-life-performance-by-a-specific-cpu/5087 A week from now, I'd get a new ryzen 5900/5950x. A no brainer. But for a really fast wordpress site if cached...
  10. V

Building web server

I was not able to find any benchmarks on that one, but you assume correct. Xeon Silver 4215R CPU will likely do much better than Gold 5222 or Gold 5217. I will have to take a step back back on some Silver Xeons R's as if I recall Intel decided to "Refresh cascade lake" CPUs by upgrading them...
  11. V

Building web server

I agree with this @amalurk "There is however huge return on optimizing WordPress themes, the scripts used in the theme and caching and CDN for images." No server is powerful enough to be fast for "bloated sites". But not so sure about this "If you want a globally fast TTFB on a budget...
  12. V

Building web server

First - you can tackle TTFB on 2 fronts: hardware and software. This discussion is mostly for hardware as software brings up a lot more to the table (but will reply to that in a separate post). The assumption is that @Jaguaras will keep their shop on Wordpress/WooCommerce and changing the...
  13. V

Intel Xeon Gold 6258R Review A Part Intel Needed

And this seems to be getting worse and worse for Intel as AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3995WX PassMark - AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3995WX - Price performance comparison Clockspeed: 2.7 GHz Turbo Speed: 4.2 GHz Cores: 64 Threads: 128 joins the game.
  14. V

Building web server

This will be helpful, probably to many looking at self-hosting WP, Magento etc. Just finished and published our analysis about PHP performance based on CPU SKU 2 new PHP performance numbers for a better estimate of real-life performance by a specific CPU / Development - Klik-MALL.com and...