Booting Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F from PCIE NVME

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

olivierLA75

Nov 15, 2021
Hi,
I'm trying to boot my Supermicro server from an NVMe on PCIe without success. I'm using Ubuntu 20.04 desktop. I heard that I have to modify the bios or maybe use an internal USB Stick that would contain the boot loader. would really appreciate some help as I need to do this ASAP.
thanks in advance
Olivier

vladimir.mijatovic

Jan 12, 2019
On X79, C602 chipsets I've had successfuly booted without any bootloader extra steps, just bios settings, with Intel nvme drives (750 and Optane 905, aic's), but could not with Samsung (960 Evo or 970 Evo plus).

It worked on asus pe79-z8-ws and dell r620.

It was 3-4y ago, maybe there are some new tutorials to get it working consistently with other manufacturers.

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
Hello

You probably have not yet had time to look around here much.

You might find this thread very informative.
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/nvme-boot-with-supermicro-x9da7-x9dri-f.13245/

I have had success using the Win-Raid forum guidance mentioned in that thread to enable NVMe boot on both the X9SCM-F and the X9DRI LN4F+ motherboards, it might work for others as well.

The forum search function is really worth exploring for research advice as well.

I hope this helps.

Take Care

RedX1

Reactions: Pheckphul