EU [SOLD] WTS: LSI SAS 9217-8i

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
After upgrading to 9305, my old HBA is up for grabs.
I've had it for roughly two years.
Included is an awesome 3D printed fan bracket and what I think is Noctua NF-A4x10 PWM (worth quite a few bucks alone), making it an ideal card for non-rack environment.
Also two cables, one with power connectors and one that's SATA only. I have no use for either so both come with the card. These things were expensive as hell.
The card is flashed to the latest available IT firmware.

For economical and practical reasons, I am only shipping it within EU. I expect the shipping fees to be roughly around €15.
I'm from Czech republic in case anyone local is interested.

I am not entirely sure what to ask for the thing, it being an old model that doesn't sell for much on Ebay, but the other stuff was not free, so I'm thinking €100 plus whatever shipping.

Obviously the price is not set in stone. I primarily need to sell, not make every last cent out of it.
I am open to reasonable offers.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir and CyklonDX

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
That's a joke of a price if I've ever seen one. A sas 2 hba with cables can be had 23€ shipped from China. Good luck buddy.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
That's a joke of a price if I've ever seen one. A sas 2 hba with cables can be had 23€ shipped from China.
You would get a joke of a card buying direct from scammers...and then the joke is on you. :rolleyes:

If you're not interested in purchasing, no need to post.

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
You would get a joke of a card buying direct from scammers...and then the joke is on you. :rolleyes:

If you're not interested in purchasing, no need to post.
LOL scammers. They're all over eBay. They are old used equipment.
And yes there is a need to post. A lot if people newer to the hobby get ****ed over by people like him. He is the scammer. 100€ for a sas2 hba with a fan on it. Better let the new people be warned in advance.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
LOL scammers. They're all over eBay. They are old used equipment.
And yes there is a need to post. A lot if people newer to the hobby get ****ed over by people like him. He is the scammer. 100€ for a sas2 hba with a fan on it. Better let the new people be warned in advance.
I think you need to check yourself. If you want to post in this section you need to comply with rule number 3:
3. No inflammatory posts will be tolerated.
You will need to change your tone if you want to communicate here. Everything you have said can be said with more decorum and class.

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
I think you need to check yourself. If you want to post in this section you need to comply with rule number 3:

You will need to change your tone if you want to communicate here. Everything you have said can be said with more decorum and class.
Inflammatory posts? Like the one you posted saying I was reccomending people to get scammed and calling me a joke.
How about you learn to admit you are wrong?
Or are you basing it all on me saying a word that the forum sensors to draw away attention that you don't want people to warn others on outrageous prices?

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Post reported. I'll let Patrick handle you since it's his site and his rules.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011

@Octopuss violation of rules 2 and 4

2. You must not post just to gauge interest on items. Search for an appropriate price before posting. You must post a price or a list of items you are willing to trade for in your post. You may not have an auction style listing.
3. No inflammatory posts will be tolerated.
4. Post one thread only if you have multiple items for sale, for trade, or that you want to buy.

@Samir & @grenskul violation of rule #3

There is nothing wrong with Aliexpress @Samir, This HBA is overpriced as a quick Ebay survey will show. < $50 USD shipped. Cheaper from China but knockoffs are a known risk but frankly lower for old recycled stuff.

@grenskul, the appropriate response is simply informing the seller they should look up the value of goods before posting as per rule #2. No need to be hostile.

@All, stop bickering then reporting each other... seriously, you are allegedly adults.

vladimir.mijatovic

Jan 12, 2019
@Octopuss , come back

I am one of those who appreciates such ventures of keeping cards like this cool and quiet. Not all of us have basements, but many of us like enterprise stuff. I've spent more money on quieting rack servers than I would if I'd just pay some stuff upfront.
For that reason alone I think your offer is fine and to give a hint for small homelabbers who will see this post - it can be hard and a noisy ride.

Do you still have those SAS drives for sale?
I am from EU (Slovenia) and maybe we can get a deal for the card and the drives.
PM me.

It will also serve as a gesture for EU-members of STH to help each other.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
You know what, I'm out of here.
I don't need this crap.
WTF.

I think I understand rootwyrm now.
Glad someone found use of your gear, at probably a lower cost than you listed.

I don't think putting a price doubly what is found online + "I am not entirely sure what to ask for the thing"
Should open you up to harassment from others... but I also don't think balking at a price is unexpected, especially in a community where we hunt deals and aren't trying to profit from each other.

I would like to see more people appropriately pricing their gear based on going rates. I would also like to see people responding with, I like your gear, but your prices are too steep for me.

If you have 3d work of your own to show off, we have a makers section here.

Octopuss

Jun 30, 2019
Czech republic
For one, it's not double price. Just look what these cards sell for if you filter only items located in Europe on Ebay. I guess I am not the only one who doesn't trust chinese sellers most of the time.
The whole point of the description was to let people know that is what I think I'd like to get for the item but being open to reasonable counter offers if the reason is sound at the same time.

And secondly, I am shocked that the person who came here to troll and insult is not banned or at least his posts are not deleted; instead, a moderator comes in and informs me I broke this and this and that rule, and tells everyone not to behave like a children, defending that idiot who had nothing better to do with his life than attacking others.

vladimir.mijatovic

Jan 12, 2019
I will start by stating I do not REALLY need this card, nor the SAS HDD drives that I picked from @Octopuss from the other post. But we REALLY need more EU sellers here :) so let's make it a bit easier for them to stick around.

I have a LSi 9270-8i, have flashed 2 Dell Perc H310 and a H710, and have a H710p in RAID mode (all minis). I can guarantee that getting started with RAID cards as a newbie on a minimum budget and in a quiet env. can get frustrating really fast. Prices of these cards have dropped down in the last 1-2Y quite a bit. But getting a HBA card, flashed with latest firmware, ready for ZFS; genuine LSI, comes with what seems a great & quiet cooling solution; combined with right cables so you can start immediately, includes a high bracket for "regular" home/soho builds, small chance of requiring troubleshooting...
Get these parts separately and you will reach $50 before shipping very quickly. Getting it in this form is very unlikely. The more I think about it - I have bought it mostly due to my experiences being manifested in this card for sale. If I'd written a wish list without seeing it first and within a budget of $100 - this is it. For the new "geeks" looking to start with HBA or RAID cards in their bedrooms: pay a bit more, Noctua is your friend, you will thank me when you learn faster and start cashing out on gained knowledge. And save these pictures - this is how your perfect card looks like.

If someone would contact me now and say "Hey, you got a flashed Dell H310 mini you do not need. I'll give you $20 as this is how much it goes for on eBay". Even if I'd reply I'd almost surely not sell. Just remembering the hours of reading trough forums and GREAT flashing tutorials posted here and fearing for bricking a card in the middle of the night in EU while (at the time) not having a backup for it... No. Attitude like this would turn me away. I think this is what was missed by some in this sale - the journey of getting this card into this form. I assume this is why the harsh reactions.

Is there a value in "start immediately"? For many, absolutely.
Are there people that would prefer this form to a low-bracket, no-active cooling, no cables? Yes.
Is there a premium for us from EU? Unfortunately, but yes.
Does @Octopuss have some "expert" flair to him? I think he does. You can argue about how much, but hard to argue that it is a positive one. I think some people here carry a certain "brand" - and a brand per definition carries a premium in pricing.
I will also not disagree if someone will go trough 2-3 sellers and save $50 on a purchase like this.

Have yet to receive the items by @Octopuss but so far all points to a very positive buyer's experience.