Recent content by Ray

1. R

Lost 120GB

Due to the extreme kindness and guidance of Marsh I am well on my way to recovering all the space on my drives. It take a lot to put up with me when I get on a roll asking questions.
  2. R

Lost 120GB

How to look like an idiot in one easy post. These are SUN drives and the PN does say that. Because of resizing some of the displayed fields I had the SUNXXX cut off the part number and with my poor eyesight didn't even notice for the 6 months I've had these drives.
  3. R

Lost 120GB

I found another person with the exact same problem with his HGST SUN drives. Now mine don't say SUN in the PN like his but everything else matches. The fix is a bit convoluted but works for 512 and there is another thread that show how to convert to 4KN. I just ordered another drive to work all...
  4. R

Post highest hours HDD you have for the end of 2022

I can't compete with the length of time some of you have but in 2012 I changed the 500 Gb drive out of our mail server. It had about 45K hours but only 5 power cycles. I took it home and used it for another couple of years in an external case.
  5. R

Lost 120GB

I bought 8 Hitachi HUH728080AL5200 (SAS 12GB 8TB) drives a while ago to upgrade a Zdev in one of my TrueNas pools. These are 512e drives that were sitting someplace since 2016 when they were made and were brand new with zero hours when I got them. I did the upgrade by replacing one drive at a...
  6. R

CS-836TQ not powering up with HP MB - FIXED!

Well I'd love to claim that my superior troubleshooting skills solved the problem but that isn't the case. I pulled the MB and had it sitting on a piece of wood when I hooked everything back up and it worked as intended. I then put it back in the 836 and put in one card (video) and it didn't...
  7. R

Let me disconnect the MB from the chassis and see what that does. I know about the different standoff heights and only used ones that came with the server. There is on MB hole that doesn't match any standoff so that is empty otherwise everything else is the correct height and location
  8. R

Compared to some problems listed this might be simple (or not). I have an HP Z420 MB that I use for a backup server. It started life in a Z420 case so everything was fine. After about 5 years I needed more drives and got a PC case that I could load 8 dives in using a 3 into 5 and 2 into 3...
  9. R

Freenas advise please: RAID array ? vdev ? what are my options ?

If you continue to add Vdevs then you never have to break the pool and reload. IOW, you can add another Vdev of 5 drives and hot spare without affecting the current data. This is true for TrueNas Core 12 which is what FreeNas has morphed into. As mentioned, another option would be to add larger...
  10. R

HP WOL problems

I have a HP Z420 motherboard in a different chassis that I use for a backup "server" running TrueNas Core 12, About a week ago I started having connection problems but I got done what I needed and didn't look into it. The next time was far worse and finally I couldn't connect at all. The...
  11. R

WTB - Supermicro CSE-836TQ 16 bay LFF (1st choice) or 836E1 (2nd choice)

I have TQ backplane that I would replace an E1 with so I am really looking for a chassis in total.
  12. R

SATA HDD Deals on ebay, do you still consider whether HDD made for NAS, desktop, Archive?

Western Digital started using standby_z in most of their SAS drives in 2014. I know that the 16 HGST SAS drives I've bought in the past 6 months have it too (all dated 2018)
  13. R

HGST He8 Ultrastar 8TB HUH728080AL5200 $82

As a rule of thumb - Things always connect at the slowest speed. Now I've had Sata, SAS2 and SAS3 all on the same IT 9211 and it worked in direct connect but I have no idea what speed each drive was talking to the other at.
  14. R

SATA HDD Deals on ebay, do you still consider whether HDD made for NAS, desktop, Archive?

I am well familiar with SMR drives and can assure you none of my drives have the "feature" You do have a point about Archive drives but they are fairly new and not what I think of as 24/7/365 active server drives
  15. R

HGST He8 Ultrastar 8TB HUH728080AL5200 $82

Just bought 8 an hour ago w/free shipping.