Lost 120GB

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Ray

Apr 24, 2016
PA
I bought 8 Hitachi HUH728080AL5200 (SAS 12GB 8TB) drives a while ago to upgrade a Zdev in one of my TrueNas pools. These are 512e drives that were sitting someplace since 2016 when they were made and were brand new with zero hours when I got them. I did the upgrade by replacing one drive at a time and then resilver the same way I've done it before. Everything works fine except after all were installed I noticed that the drive size as reported by TrueNAS was smaller than the other 8TB drives I have. 120GB per drive smaller. Now TrueNAS won't accept a drive for replacement that has any partitions on it - even hidden ones. But I pulled out my spare drive and looked for any hidden partitions anyway and didn't find any

I'm sure these drives were made for some company but I don't know for whom and there is nothing on the label to indicate it nor is it in the part number as I've seen previously. When I look at the cylinder count it is also less that other Hitachi 8TB drives I have. So while it may say 8TB on the label it doesn't format to that amount in TrueNAS or windows.

So my question is: Where might the missing 120GB be and is it possible to recover it? If so, how?

I started losing my sight about 2 years ago so please try to limit the amount of links I have to read if you can.

Ray

Apr 24, 2016
PA
I found another person with the exact same problem with his HGST SUN drives. Now mine don't say SUN in the PN like his but everything else matches. The fix is a bit convoluted but works for 512 and there is another thread that show how to convert to 4KN. I just ordered another drive to work all this out on and once that is dome I get to resilver my Vdev @ 65 hours per drive as I update my 8 drives. What a way to start the year :)

Reactions: itronin

Marsh

May 12, 2013
M y real life scripts to reclaim SUN 8TB SAS drive to real 8TB capacity drive
Took 28 hours to complete the resize process. Run scripts in parallel to save time.
setblock utility is from GitHub - ahouston/setblocksize: Fork of setblocksize
It is based on Ubuntu linux

Code:
cat myresize0.sh
#!/bin/bash

drive=sg0

if [ -f /tmp/$0-start.log ]
then
echo /tmp/$0-start.log exist
exit
fi

touch /tmp/$0-start.log

# OK done pass 1
sudo ./setblocksize -b4096 /dev/$drive

touch /tmp/$0-setblock-done.log

# pass 2
sudo sg_format -v --format --size=4096 /dev/$drive

touch /tmp/$0-sgformat-done.log

exit

cat dosg0.sh
#!/bin/bash

screen -d -m -S myresize0 ./myresize0.sh

Ray

Apr 24, 2016
PA
How to look like an idiot in one easy post. These are SUN drives and the PN does say that. Because of resizing some of the displayed fields I had the SUNXXX cut off the part number and with my poor eyesight didn't even notice for the 6 months I've had these drives.

Reactions: name stolen

Ray

Apr 24, 2016
PA
Due to the extreme kindness and guidance of Marsh I am well on my way to recovering all the space on my drives. It take a lot to put up with me when I get on a roll asking questions.

Reactions: Marsh