Recent content by PithyChats

1. P

Whats the deal with U.2 enterprise SSDs selling so cheap?

I added context - this was for Dell 14th and 15th generation servers sourced through Dell direct. Certainly have seen some funky stuff vis-a-vis HDD screws from white box manufactures, but never Dell, thought my sample set is admittedly somewhat small.
  2. P

I've definite seen loctite and very tightly screwed screws, but never glued in. I checked a few more servers randomly and didn't find any glued, including 2.5 and 3.5, SAS, NVME and SATA. EDIT - these are on Dell 14th and 15th generation servers.
  3. P

Dell Poweredge R240 - Barebones w/ Xeon E-2124 - $180

If they come with the PERC H330 as advertised, they'll accept both SATA and SAS and will have a hot plug backplane. However there are configs that accept SATA only and/ or don't have a hot plug backplane.
  4. P

Not trying to call you out, but the manual still shows these are removable see here: Dell EMC PowerEdge R650 Installation and Service Manual | Dell Canada All of our 15th gen Dell servers have come with drives that didn't have glue on the screws. I just pulled some to check. How long ago did...
  5. P

I've had no problem with Connect-x 3 LP 10G adapters on these (and my experience is others should work), however Dell does have a 3rd party PCIE add in card cooling algorithm that ramps up the fans. You can adjust this as follows by SSH into the IDRAC (you may need to adjust IDRAC setting to...
  6. P

Unfortunately no and no. Outside of Xeon's the "best" CPU you can use is an Intel Core i3 9100 processor per: https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/poweredge-r240/per240_ts_pub/processor-specifications?guid=guid-7275c1be-ad45-411a-a86e-53f4adb43e93&lang=en-us For the igpu, the chipset...
  7. P

Dell 15th gen servers with 3rd party ssd drives

What issues are you seeing? We've mostly used SAS drives so far.
  8. P

What kind of Adapter from 2,5" HDD to a 3,5" Caddy?

These will work fine. Screws are standard caddy screws - they are not specific to the adapter.
  9. P

Dell 15th gen servers with 3rd party ssd drives

I am running AMD 15th Gen rather than Intel from Dell ( R6525, R7515) and have had no issue with 3rd party enterprise drives (Samsung, WD/HGST, and Intel.) The only thing I find are no auto firmware update through lifecycle controller, sometimes the lights are bit different on the caddy - may...
  10. P

IBM 7.6 TB SAS SSD 528 TO 512 BYTE PROBLEM!

Have you tried seachest with --fastFormat 1 --formatUnit 512 --confirm I-understand-this-command-will-erase-all-data-on-the-drive per https://wp.colliertech.org/cj/?p=1802
  11. P

To confirm, is it in IT mode? (It should be if it is a true HBA, not just a RAID card in JBOD mode) Which HBA?
  12. P

USB to SSD and NVME

Were both drives 512 format? What was the USB formatted as? Same file system on both destination drives? How was the NVME connected - U.2, pcie slot? My first guess - drive format and file system. Second guess - SATA overhead / DMA for NVME.
  13. P

Try this sudo sg_format -v --format --size=512 --six /dev/sg8 from https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man8/sg_format.8.html -6, --six Use 6 byte variants of MODE SENSE and MODE SELECT. The default action is to use the 10 byte variants. Some MO...
  14. P

Dell PSU error lights?

For future reference, the diagnostic light codes are described just above the wattage on the large label. Take a look, you should see it there :)