Dell 15th gen servers with 3rd party ssd drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lognat

Jun 7, 2022
Currently looking at buying a RX750xs with h755 perc in 12 LFF chassis, but the prices listed for sata ssd are just insane. Have it configured with 4x 4TB Sata HDD from Dell and planning to get some additional ssds, like Intel D3-S4610, or Samsung PM883, or Micron 5300 max and put them in some 3rd party caddies. Can anyone confirm that these ssds aren't blocked or throttled by Dell and will play nicely with the server and raid controller? Maybe somebody is running this server/raid controller with some 3rd party enterprise grade ssds and can share their results, gotchas and maybe even some benchmarks?

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
I have no idea about the current RAID controller as we don't use them anymore (only HBA), but it used to be that either it would disable caches or not provide all monitoring data for non-first-party supplied drives.

By the way, is there a reason you'd still be wanting to use that RAID controller? Except for some non-virtualised Windows there isn't much of a scenario in which that still makes sense.

PithyChats

Feb 3, 2015
Currently looking at buying a RX750xs with h755 perc in 12 LFF chassis, but the prices listed for sata ssd are just insane. Have it configured with 4x 4TB Sata HDD from Dell and planning to get some additional ssds, like Intel D3-S4610, or Samsung PM883, or Micron 5300 max and put them in some 3rd party caddies. Can anyone confirm that these ssds aren't blocked or throttled by Dell and will play nicely with the server and raid controller? Maybe somebody is running this server/raid controller with some 3rd party enterprise grade ssds and can share their results, gotchas and maybe even some benchmarks?
I am running AMD 15th Gen rather than Intel from Dell ( R6525, R7515) and have had no issue with 3rd party enterprise drives (Samsung, WD/HGST, and Intel.) The only thing I find are no auto firmware update through lifecycle controller, sometimes the lights are bit different on the caddy - may not show activity for example, and some drive stats are missing in iDRAC. Functionally I have noticed no difference from Dell branded drives. Just make sure you get 14/15th Gen caddies. They are different from 13th Gen. I should add we mostly use HBA's but had no issues with earlier Gen 13 and 14 and PERC Raid controllers. I have not specifically tried the H755, only up to H740P in non-HBA.

AllenAsm

Jul 30, 2018
we have the new 7525 servers and are having issues with the samsung 2.5 nvme drives. The dells refusing to play nice with them.

shoosh

Jun 13, 2022
we have the new 7525 servers and are having issues with the samsung 2.5 nvme drives. The dells refusing to play nice with them.
I was planning on using TeamGroup NVMe's in a U2 caddy with an R7525 server. Did you figure out a solution?

jthm

Mar 3, 2016
Anyone else able to contribute experiences? Dell has no 15.36TB NVMEs and I'm looking to go big with third-party enterprise NVME drives on a PERC H755. Would love a data point on whether anyone has success with non-Dell NVME drives on the latest gens.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
You could, but you'd be wasting bandwidth. At this point, the cost of a more-than-HBA controller is more than a CPU that can do it directly. If you limit yourself to RAID10 and 4 drives you might still get the best performance yet, but it would still be a waste. The controller doesn't have enough lanes to really pump all that data.