Recent content by pancake_riot

1. P

FS: ****SOLD**** Ruckus/Brocade Switches - ICX6450-48P, ICX7150-C12P **READ**

Hello folks, I have two switches I'm looking to part with. I'd prefer to sell these together but I can split them up if the interest in the lot just isn't there. Item 1 - Brocade ICX6450-48P 48 port POE switch - $50 This is the "beef snack" from fohdeesha's Brocade ICX Series thread. It's in...
  2. P

[CN] Seeed studio reServer 4C/8T for $274.50

I just received my i3-1125G4 today. Thoughts: Regarding the PCIe x4 slot, there is a bit of clearance there where you might be able to put an extra SSD in on a ribbon cable type of adapter. It's a little strange that they put the slot on there at all given that the motherboard seems to have...
  3. P

[CN] Seeed studio reServer 4C/8T for $274.50

In for one! Thanks for sharing this. For anyone running Frigate or looking to, this system can run a Coral TPU in one of the M.2 slots. Newer releases of Frigate also support the OpenVINO detectors which use the Intel iGPU if you can't get your hands on a Coral. I'm going to move my...
  4. P

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I picked up an ICX7150-C12P and it's been great, aside from the POE budget being a little tighter than I expected running 3 APs and 3 cameras. The microbeefer has 2x1G uplinks and 2x10G SFP+ uplinks. A few posters have asked about the uplink ports before, but never specifically about using...
  5. P

Cobalt RaQ retrofit project

Very cool! I'm actually working on a similar project with a RaQ 4. I replaced the mainboard with a Starfive VisionFive 2 SBC and am planning to wire up the front panel with a new LCD and try to tie in the existing buttons and LEDs via I2C. Still waiting on some deliveries for all the...
  6. P

(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Judging by the teardown pics, it looks like both the base and extended 5070 have an M.2 E-Key slot. Has anyone tried one of these with a Coral Edge TPU yet? The new Coral Edge Dual TPU requires an E-key slot that presents two PCIe 1x bus - which technically should be provided by the standard...
  7. P

New rack scratching wood floors when moved

Something like this: TrafficMaster Tri-Rib Charcoal 24 in. x 36 in. Vinyl Door Mat-6044419072x3 - The Home Depot Instead of an entry mat, you could also use a regular vinyl floor protector, cut to length: TrafficMaster 27 in. x 12 ft. Wide Rib Utility Black Floor Protector-4521217HD - The Home...
  8. P

New rack scratching wood floors when moved

Get some of those commercial-grade door mats with the rubber backing. Your local home supply store should carry them. They're very thin and very durable - the rubber lip is about an eight of an inch and the mat itself is a quarter inch at most. Even with a fully loaded rack, you should have...
  9. P

Ceph Performance

Jumbo frames will not do much for you on a 1Gb NIC these days. The big appeal with jumbo frames is reducing the processing overhead by sending more data in fewer frames, but just about everything a NIC does is offloaded to the controller, and modern controllers are more than sufficient to max a...
  10. P

Ampere Altra A1 vs Raspberry Pi 4B

I've been playing around with my Oracle Cloud account in recent days, specifically the Ampere Altra VMs that were recently moved into their Always Free tier. After reading the coverage here on STH and seeing benchmarks against mainstream Xeon and Epyc platforms, I was most curious to see how it...
  11. P

Did anyone here ditch vSphere for Proxmox, other?

No, I just run the standard Dell power bricks for each.
  12. P

Yeah, I meant having a main storage server where the OS is not virtualized. That's originally what I did with the R720 until I P2V'ed the OS so I could install Proxmox and run some other VMs on the same hardware. That was a few years ago, when my only other hypervisor was an Intel NUC...
  13. P

Embiggening The Home NAS: Rebuilding a Supermicro SuperStorage To Its Former Glory

At one point I had an SGI Octane as well - so heavy you'd think it was made of lead, and the thermals could pass for a space heater. The O2 is a lot easier to keep around for casual nostalgia, but the plastic skins have gotten so brittle that every time I go to move it, I worry that something...
  14. P

Until very recently, I had 4 Proxmox VE hypervisors. One was a Dell Poweredge R720 with 2x10Gb, and the other 3 are assorted generations of Dell Optiplex micros each with 1Gb NICs. The R720 hosted my NAS using PCIe passthrough for the HBA to a VM inside Proxmox. I recently moved my storage...
  15. P

SM CSE 826 sweet deal

I went for the original X10DRH-CT that matched my chassis. I toyed with the notion of using a standard ATX board, but between the cost of new components and needing to sort out cable extensions and I/O cables, going with a Supermicro board seemed more hassle-free. The hardest part was finding...