(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
To show the test result for the PCIe slot bandwidth of Wyse 5070 extended:

I uses Supermicro AOC-STGN-i2S, a PCIe x8 2.0 card, both VMs on a Wyse 5070 extended with Proxmox 7, to test the layer 3 hardware offloading of a Mikrotik switch: The best record on one way is 5.08Gbits/s, the other way is 7.24Gbits/s.

Update: I think this data matches @hk92doom's post about PCIe x4 2.0.

Last edited:

heromode

May 25, 2020
To show the test result for the PCIe slot bandwidth of Wyse 5070 extended:

I uses Supermicro AOC-STGN-i2S, a PCIe x8 2.0 card, both VMs on a Wyse 5070 extended with Proxmox 7, to test the layer 3 hardware handoff of a Mikrotik switch: The best record on one way is 5.08Gbits/s, the other way is 7.24Gbits/s.

Update: I think this data matches @hk92doom's post about PCIe x4 2.0.
Remember 3 of the 6 pcie lanes are multiplexed with USB3 and sata as per page 13 of the Intel® Pentium® Silver and Celeron® Processors Datasheet Vol. 1:
Platform Code Named Gemini Lake: Documents and Datasheets

BTW: i noticed a LPDDR4/x SDRAM Validation Results document on that page as well:
LPDDR4/x SDRAM Validation Results - 003 - ID:637689 | LPDDR4/x SDRAM

heromode

May 25, 2020
he reason we haven't all replaced HDMI and DisplayPort with display over Ethernet is because home networking doesn't have nearly the bandwidth to transport uncompressed signals, compressed video is rife with quality and latency issues, and nothing can beat the value proposition of a purpose built cable that costs $15 and doesn't require further configuration.
but but i WANT to has it :confused::mad:

Reactions: Samir

heromode

May 25, 2020
Don't have an extended 5070, but I do have a WX2100 (and even a W2100 - older, slower, but same size) and a slim 5070, so I took a couple of pictures so you can judge the fit.

View attachment 21144View attachment 21145
Well turns out the Dell logo on the front is actually a replacable piece of plastics with clips, and that thingy would seem to extend further back than the blue connector, but there might JUST be enough space in between the dell logo mount and top, but no way to say without testing..

edit: This might be useful for modders that use adapters to attach stuff to the M.2 and mini-pcie slots: u can remove the dell logo and pull cables through there.

Last edited:

heromode

May 25, 2020
i asked on the other thread about the 'P' marking next to one of the serial ports, i'm assuming this means power, but i can't find any info on this. Could be useful for running relay boards, powering fans etc...

pancake_riot

Nov 5, 2021
Judging by the teardown pics, it looks like both the base and extended 5070 have an M.2 E-Key slot. Has anyone tried one of these with a Coral Edge TPU yet? The new Coral Edge Dual TPU requires an E-key slot that presents two PCIe 1x bus - which technically should be provided by the standard, but many implementations are seemingly not compliant.

heromode

May 25, 2020
Judging by the teardown pics, it looks like both the base and extended 5070 have an M.2 E-Key slot. Has anyone tried one of these with a Coral Edge TPU yet? The new Coral Edge Dual TPU requires an E-key slot that presents two PCIe 1x bus - which technically should be provided by the standard, but many implementations are seemingly not compliant.
Remember 3 of the 6 pcie lanes are multiplexed with USB3 and sata as per page 13 of the Intel® Pentium® Silver and Celeron® Processors Datasheet Vol. 1:
Platform Code Named Gemini Lake: Documents and Datasheets
The 6 pcie lanes are i think a mix of 4x pcie2x4 and 2x pcie2x2 , multiplexed with usb and sata.. maybe see '3.9.1 PCIE* Port Mapping' on page 97 of that pdf..

jnew1213

Jan 28, 2022
Can anyone recommend a guide for putting Windows 10 or 11 on the 5070. I picked up an extended version which apparently had its ThinOS install wiped.

I tried RUFUS formatted USB, diskpart formatting USB, and File Explorer formatted USB but the machine doesn't recognize a file system on any of them. NTFS is out with UEFI, I understand. FAT didn't allow the largest of the Windows installer files, and exFAT wasn't recognized.

I tried the Dell Wyse Imaging tool v3.4.0 on my PC, and it sees a 64GB Sandisk USB drive but won't let me do anything with it.

I am out of ideas.

Thanks!

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
a standard windows USB install works. what you have to do is delete ALL of the partitions on the EMM SSD and any SSD that you add to the 5070.

Chris

jnew1213

Jan 28, 2022
a standard windows USB install works. what you have to do is delete ALL of the partitions on the EMM SSD and any SSD that you add to the 5070.

Chris
How did I get to the EMM? I can boot FreeDOS to the device. I used that to upgrade the BIOS to the latest.

How do I format the USB Windows installer? Am I correct that NTFS isn't recognized as bootable? RUFUS insists on formatting NTFS.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
To delete all of the partitions I used a live CD using lubuntu. lsblk to get the names of the disks. then fdisk to delete all of the partitons

for the windows install I used the MSFT usb download tool.

Chris

Reactions: abq and Samir

jnew1213

Jan 28, 2022
Okay. I will try FreeDOS with diskpart to remove any partitions. I will use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to create the USB. Results to follow.

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
Okay. I will try FreeDOS with diskpart to remove any partitions. I will use the Microsoft Media Creation Tool to create the USB. Results to follow.
You might be able to do a secure wipe of all disks right from the BIOS to clean the partitions off the machine. I think it is down toward the bottom of all the options, maybe under Maintenance or something like that.

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
Windows installers allow you to remove all partitions. I do it all the time. Then allocate space for doing the windows installation.

jnew1213

Jan 28, 2022
Thanks for all the replies and assistance. The machine is up and running under Windows 11 with not a byte available on the onboard disk. FreeDOS was not bootable but the USB created with the Media Creation Tool was. Windows installed without issue. Wireless, fine. 4K monitor attached, fine.

I've ordered a 500GB WD SATA M.2 from Amazon that will be here Tuesday. I'll finish the machine then and reinstall Windows onto that drive.

$153 for the 5070 Ext and $60 for the WD drive. Not sure what I am going to do with this thing, but I bought it to play with, and playing is what I'm doing.

Thanks again!

forests_gump

Feb 18, 2021
After my last adventure with BIOS update I decided to collect the flash memory content. It turned out that there are several flash memory chips on the motherboard.

U2501 - 128M-bit/16 MiB Winbond W25Q128FW
BIOS

U2402 - 4M-bit/512KiB Winbond W25X40CL
flash chip for IT8739 - Super I/O chip w/LPC interface

U5502 - 2M-bit/256 KiB Winbond W25X20CL
flash chip for PS181 - Dual-mode DisplayPort Source enablement for a native DisplayPort-only GPUs

U9502 - 1M-bit/128 KiB Gigadevice GD25D10BT
U9602 - 1M-bit/128 KiB Gigadevice GD25D10BT
flash chip for Embedded Controller (EC)

During the process, I also took notes on how to recover the BIOS

Restart the computer.
Press and hold the CTRL key + ESC key on the keyboard until the BIOS Recovery page appears.
From the menu it is possible to reset BIOS or enter BIOS recovery

BIOS recovery images are located on eMMC drive partition 4 - /EFI/Dell/Bios/Recovery
BIOS recovery files:
BIOS_CUR.RCV
BIOS_PREV.RCV

Alternatively, it is possible to recover the BIOS using a USB stick and place the BIOS file there renamed as BIOS_IMG.RCV
Boot menu is accesible by holding the F12 key.
what are embedded controllers (EC) on wyse 5070, and it does?
there are 2 of these flash chips - what the difference?

Last edited:

jnew1213

Jan 28, 2022
So after pulling out some hair over the last few days, I figured I would post an update. Interesting things happen when you go over spec with the 5070.

My unit came with 4GB in a single DIMM. The eMMC drive had been wiped. I installed Windows 11, which filled the "drive" completely. Installation went as expected and took 10-15 minutes, as I recall.

I received a few days later a pair of 16GB DIMMs (32GB total) and a WD Blue SATA SSD. I installed both with the plan to wipe the eMMC and reinstall Windows on the SSD.

I booted, pressed F1 to continue after the memory size change notice on screen and continued to boot Windows 11 Setup. The boot took about a half hour and everything from the point on took orders of magnitude longer to accomplish than it should have.

Windows 11 took about three hours to install, errored out on "OOBEREGION" which I was able to get through. It errored again on "OOBELOCAL" and I couldn't continue past that point.

I tried Windows 10, which got about as far in at least that amount of time, and errored out on "Your system restarted... we may be able to download an update which fixes the problem" or some such. That was a dead end as well.

Thinking that the SSD might be bad and realizing that the likelihood of that was remote, I removed the two 16GB DIMMs and reinstalled the 4GB DIMM.

The machine was immediately fast and I was able to wipe the bad Windows install from the SSD.

Next I tried only one of the 16GB DIMMs in place of the 4GB DIMM. The machine was fine and I reinstalled Windows 11 to a wiped SSD.

My BIOS is 1.15.1, the latest, I believe.

I also believe there's a problem in the BIOS where the machine does recognize 32GB installed but doesn't act properly.

So now, I am running with a single 16GB DIMM installed. I wish it were a pair of 8GB DIMMs, giving me dual-channel, but it is what it is.

The 5070 is a nice device. Mine has a Radeon GPU installed and supports up to six displays. But the device is not without its quirks.