Recent content by michaeld

1. M

SAS Expander Options (no mobo needed)

I'm still learning SAS/expanders. For the Intel RES3FV288, Intel specifies ports to be used as inputs, so that's why I asked about inputs/outputs. This is from the user manual: I have ordered the Adaptec 9361-8i 82885T and plan on using the external ports as inputs.
  2. M

Looking at the user manual for the Adaptec card, it looks like any 2 ports can be used as an input (connected to a RAID controller? Am I correct? I'd like to use I/H as the inputs to connect to the RAID card in the server...
  3. M

That Adaptec 82885T is exactly what I need. Thanks, @ari2asem
  4. M

LSI SAS9201-16e HBA Activity LED headers

If you're not the DIY type, you could always buy this cable assembly and remove the wires attached to the switch and just use the two LEDs.
  5. M

LSI SAS9201-16e HBA Activity LED headers

You need this cable with an LED soldered on the end. If your case has some unused front panel indicator lights, you've already got what you need.
  6. M

Hello all, I'm researching Molex-powered SAS Expanders that don't require a mobo/PCI-E slot and figured I could save a lot of time by asking here. WHAT I WANT TO DO: Add a JBOD disk shelf/DAS to an existing server. Looking at taking 8 lanes/2 ports off the existing Adaptec 72405 RAID...
  7. M

Software RAID0 on a duallie - split the drives b/t CPUs or both on 1 CPU? (Chia mining related)

Bump for help/advice. My RAM showed up today and Win10 is loading as we speak. Would like to get the system built in the next couple of days...so much plotting I'm missing out on. 32 cores vs. the 12 I'm using now. :D
  8. M

Software RAID0 on a duallie - split the drives b/t CPUs or both on 1 CPU? (Chia mining related)

I'm in the process of building a plotting machine for Chia coin mining. It requires a ton of disk IO to the temporary drive. I have two U2 drives on PCI-E adapter cards that I plan to software RAID0/stripe in order to have one big and fast temporary drive. The OS will be the latest version of...
  9. M

RAID5+HS or RAID6 for Media Storage?

I actually do have 4 ports available on the LSI9650 that runs the drives for my NAS (home file storage only) . I could put the backup target drives on that controller. That would really be a good backup as the DAS drives and backup drives would be on separate HW RAID controllers. I want the...
  10. M

Thanks, Chuck. I had not thought of that. And off-site backup is a very smart thing to do. I guess I have to finally rent a safe deposit box at the bank vs. handing my friend an ext HD and telling him "Put this someplace safe." :o
  11. M

Thanks everyone for the replies! I love this place. :) True; I could "just re-rip" in the event of a failed array. But, being as my spare time is basically a few hours per week (Job + Family = Have to schedule when I can do stuff), my spare time is really valuable to me. I only want to rip...
  12. M

Thanks, TuxDude. I appreciate the detailed reply. I am not familiar with Snapraid, so not sure if it runs on its' own Linux/Unix-based OS like FreeNAS does. I probably should have put in my original post that this direct attached storage must run on a Windows OS. I don't know much about...
  13. M

Hello everyone, I am finally going the media server route and will be ripping my 500+ BR and DVD collection. I already have a PC I use as my NAS (Win7/3.2GHz Xeon/16GB RAM/1GB hard wired LAN) and will be adding an 8-bay SAS/SATA enclosure and HW RAID card to it specifically for my movies and...
  14. M

MichaelD's FreeNAS Server

Thanks again. Did you see a couple of posts up that I mentioned I was using a copy program when I was getting those slow write speeds? However, when using that program, I was also copying thousands of very small files. So I'm not sure what works for sure and what does not. My main box has...
  15. M

MichaelD's FreeNAS Server

Thanks for the tip, gigatexal. I would like to know for sure what those commands do before applying them. From my limited command line knowledge I'm going to guess: Sets my Receive Buffer to 128Kb Sets my AIO Read Size to 16Kb Says I don't have a DNS proxy The last entry is true; I don't run...