Software RAID0 on a duallie - split the drives b/t CPUs or both on 1 CPU? (Chia mining related)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

michaeld

Oct 10, 2012
I'm in the process of building a plotting machine for Chia coin mining. It requires a ton of disk IO to the temporary drive. I have two U2 drives on PCI-E adapter cards that I plan to software RAID0/stripe in order to have one big and fast temporary drive. The OS will be the latest version of Win10.

The MB in question is an AsrockRAck EP2C622D16-2T (Socket 3647). Link in case you're interested: ASRock Rack > EP2C622D16-2T

As you can see in the attached block diagram, the PCI-E lanes are split (unequally, but still split) between CPUs. Would it be better to have both drives/halves of the stripe on the same CPU to minimize latency, or better to split them b/t CPUs in order to distribute the load b/t CPUs?

Keep in mind the CPUs will be at 90-100% usage for the computationally-intensive part of the mining process. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

michaeld

Oct 10, 2012
Bump for help/advice. My RAM showed up today and Win10 is loading as we speak. Would like to get the system built in the next couple of days...so much plotting I'm missing out on. 32 cores vs. the 12 I'm using now. :D