SAS Expander Options (no mobo needed)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

michaeld

Oct 10, 2012
Hello all,

I'm researching Molex-powered SAS Expanders that don't require a mobo/PCI-E slot and figured I could save a lot of time by asking here.

WHAT I WANT TO DO: Add a JBOD disk shelf/DAS to an existing server. Looking at taking 8 lanes/2 ports off the existing Adaptec 72405 RAID controller and attaching to an expander in another JBOD chassis.

WHAT TYPE OF DRIVES/HOW MANY: SATA spinners, 16 minimum.

USAGE CASE: Lots of online storage for Chia plots

HOW WOULD I USE/POWER IT: No mobo. Using the Supermicro JBPWR2 JBOD power board and powering the expander via Molex connector.

I've looked at the RES3FV288 and it's exactly what I need. It's also $300 (best price I could find by calling around). Is there another Molex-powered expander that might meet my needs that I could find on FleaBay for less?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
A PCIe mining riser board works just fine to power SAS expanders, at least in my experience (mainly with the older HP expanders).

Reactions: itronin

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen

all of these expanders you can power with 4 pin molex connector

Reactions: michaeld

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Sas is a switched protocol, you can use any port for connecting other devices like expanders, ssds or hdds.

michaeld

Oct 10, 2012
Dell HBA330
Sas is a switched protocol, you can use any port for connecting other devices like expanders, ssds or hdds.
I'm still learning SAS/expanders. For the Intel RES3FV288, Intel specifies ports to be used as inputs, so that's why I asked about inputs/outputs. This is from the user manual:

1621555193345.png

I have ordered the Adaptec 9361-8i 82885T and plan on using the external ports as inputs.

gregsachs

Aug 14, 2018
I'm still learning SAS/expanders. For the Intel RES3FV288, Intel specifies ports to be used as inputs, so that's why I asked about inputs/outputs. This is from the user manual:

View attachment 18719

I have ordered the Adaptec 9361-8i 82885T and plan on using the external ports as inputs.
The specification of connections is so that drive bays are mapped correctly in a chassis. It doesn't really matter how you connect the,