Recent content by Kevin

1. K

Supermicro 4U 90 bay SAS3 JBOD - $525

That's a great deal, but I think I would have drives starting to fail from age before being able to afford the 90 drives to fill it .... plus I'm thinking that with 90 drives in 4U the fans must scream to keep it cool... and yet I inexplicably still want it
  2. K

ASRock Rack EP2C602 + Windows 10?

I've done upgrade from win7 pro to win10 pro, and then later did a clean install on mine but I don't remember having any problems with either one. I was using just a single ssd boot drive plugged into one of the sata 3 ports for windows. I think the only thing I have plugged in to the marvell...
  3. K

Need some advice/opinions on "broken" hard drives i've sold

Yeah, for all the fragile things that don't get shipped properly by newegg and others, the fact that the bag of 100 drive screws came wrapped in paper, a small box, then wrapped in air cushions, and another box made me laugh.
  4. K

I didn't realize there were warranty-based shipping rules that companies were supposed to follow, that's actually good to know. It was within the last 2 years that I got re4's from them like that, and I remember being surprised that they weren't packed as well as hgst deskstar nas drives are...
  5. K

Maybe I missed it but what does well packed mean to you? I buy a lot of used equipment and I find that well packed means something different to everyone. I read that you pack in individual anti-static bags but nothing about what was used to protect each drive. This is just my limited...
  6. K

3TB Hitachi 7200rpm Enterprise HD $64.99 / FS

similar deal on newegg canada for $89.99 CAD plus $5.00 off code: Refurbished: HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 HUS724030ALE641 (0F17731) 3TB 64MB Cache 7200RPM SATA III 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Enterprise Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.ca I've had terrible luck with "refurb" drives but their $9.00 1 year extended...
  7. K

Canada Netgear XS708T 10gig switch

If you're American that's actually not a bad deal even compared to the ubnt switches considering US>CDN is anywhere from $1.31 to $1.35 lately, that's only 740ish US. Those unifi switches only give you 4x 10gbe and a bunch of sfp ports. So this is double the price of the beta switches but you do...
  8. K

Converting Supermicro Rackmount SC747 back to Tower?

I tried contacting them but they told me that supermicro does not sell any of those 3 parts separately and I guess they don't have any kicking around :( For a case I'm pretty sure they still sell new I don't understand why a company like supermicro wouldn't want to sell parts for it. Especially...
  9. K

Converting Supermicro Rackmount SC747 back to Tower?

I recently picked up a few SC747TG-R1400B-SQ chassis but they were all converted from the tower format to rackmount format. I would like to use them as towers but I can't seem to find replacement chassis feet anywhere. The supermicro website lists these parts that I'm interested in because they...
  10. K

Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

I can usually do it in under 2 hours round trip including time at the border. pembinaparcel.com is who I use, they're open til 8PM weekdays, and they're open saturday & sunday. $5 per package (I pay US cash but I think they take canadian factoring in exchange). You just register one time on...
  11. K

ASRock Rack EP2C602 + Windows 10?

If you don't care about using standby (and really if you use SSD's for boot do you NEED standby?) then I don't think there's any problem with the asrock boards. I've been using ep2c602-4L/D16 since April using Win 10 Pro and have not had any issues (currently running 2 weeks without a reboot)...
  12. K

Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

ProTip if you're buying from natex/ebay US and live in Canuckistan (especially Winterpeg) and are only an hour or less from the border (especially if they're not using the global shipping program on ebay that includes import fees already). It's much cheaper, often free to have them ship to...
  13. K

Dual E5 2670 workstation motherboard recommendation

I didn't read this whole thread (TL: DR) just saw lots of people having issues with freezing in win10 with the asrock board and wanted to add my experience with it. I've been using the asrock ep2c602-4l/d16 with Windows 10 Pro since April sometime, it only gets shut off if I'm going out of town...