Recent content by KC@Gadgetblues

1. KC@Gadgetblues

LGA 3647 Processor Installation – Intel Advice

At least this actually works, whereas AMD TR/EPYC socket works only half the time for me and has to be completely redone.
  2. KC@Gadgetblues

Warning.. WD HC530 14Tb at too good to be true pricing

Clarification, somebody here said that WD said that they were stolen. Invalid serial # is normal for OEM drives. For all we know the OP is an eBay competitor of the seller with the batch in question, trying to get us to avoid that seller. A cursory examination of eBay reveals drives with both...
  3. KC@Gadgetblues

eBay - Extra 20% off for 4th of July

Quadro M4000 is a GTX 970 with 8GB RAM. It's worth $100-$150.
  4. KC@Gadgetblues

Samsung PM1735 - No drivers, no firmware found anywhere?

Intel. List of enterprise SSD manufacturers that do NOT support end users: Samsung KIOXIA/ODZ/Toshiba WD/HGST/SanDisk
  5. KC@Gadgetblues

Looking for advice on 4TB NVME SSDs for workstation use.

I have had my fill of unsupported OEM crap after my experience with WD/SanDisk/HGST disowning the SN260 series.
  6. KC@Gadgetblues

Document Display | HPE Support Center There is actually a second cache management bug as well referenced by Dell Dell Express Flash NVMe PCIe SSD PM1725a firmware release | Driver Details | Dell Canada
  7. KC@Gadgetblues

Given that there is a deadly, complete data loss bug on Samsung PM1725a drives that is fixed by a firmware update which is totally unobtainable by any end user, IMHO it's irresponsible to recommend PM1725a to anyone. They are completely unsupported by Samsung.
  8. KC@Gadgetblues

[FS] [US-WA] 24-Bay 4U Server AMD EPYC 16-Core, 64GB RAM, Hardware RAID

24-Bay 4U Server AMD EPYC 16-Core, 64GB RAM, Hardware RAID Will deliver to a business address within the greater Seattle area, or meet in Bellevue WA. No shipping.
  9. KC@Gadgetblues

[Newegg] ASRock Rack D1541D4U-2O8R mATX 8-core Xeon D-1541 mobo with SFP+ $179!

Has anyone managed to update the BIOS on this board? Mine came with 1.10 and it's resisted all attempts to update. With Instant Flash, it prompts me to select the BIOS on my USB stick and then the screen goes blank and nothing ever happens (with 1.20 or 1.30). With the Windows flash utility...
  10. KC@Gadgetblues

[Newegg] ASRock Rack D1541D4U-2O8R mATX 8-core Xeon D-1541 mobo with SFP+ $179!

Asrock Rack D1541D4U-2O8R Server Motherboard Intel Xeon D1541 SFP DDR4 ECC DIMM - Newegg.com https://www.servethehome.com/asrock-rack-d1541d4u-2o8r-review-matx-xeon-d-sfp/ ASRock Rack > D1541D4U-2O8R
  11. KC@Gadgetblues

SanDisk 8TB SAS SSD $499 OBO

That's positively a SFF-8639 (U.2) connector, not a SAS connector. The drive is 12G SAS, if you have an older 6G SAS HBA and/or backplane and/or cable it may have the PWDIS issue. If you are using a fanout cable (e.g. MiniSAS to 4 SAS + SATA Power) try putting a Molex-to SATA power adapter onto...
  12. KC@Gadgetblues

Looking for fanless web-managed 24-port 1GbE switch with 2 SFP+ uplinks

Dang - looks perfect but I'll have to pay through the nose, $1375 is about double what I expected. Thanks for the tip anyhow.
  13. KC@Gadgetblues

Looking for fanless web-managed 24-port 1GbE switch with 2 SFP+ uplinks

I'm looking for a fanless web-managed 24-to-28-port 1GbE switch with 2 SFP+ 10Gb uplinks. Any suggestions? No Microtik due to historical security concerns. No "cloud managed". Currently using an HPE but wow, HPE's site makes it impossible to find products. I did find an HPE unmanaged 1420...
  14. KC@Gadgetblues

Need SFP+ direct connect cable recommendation

Thanks - it looks like this combo requires an active cable. I checked the QLogic cable compatibility list and none of the part numbers were available for retail sale. I ended up trying one of these off-brand clones of the Brocade cable and it works perfectly...
  15. KC@Gadgetblues

Need SFP+ direct connect cable recommendation

I'm connecting QLogic Broadcom 10GBe SFP+ NICs to a Netgear XS512EM 10GbE switch with 2 SFP+ ports. I tried these cables and they didn't work: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y5VFP2V I don't get any network connection at all, the lights don't light up. Suggestions please!